Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you justify another rifle to the wife again? I think I'm going to need some ideas. Stopped at the local shop on my way home yesterday and they had a couple of 41 mags, a regular model and a CCL with an octagonal barrel. Seemed a little on the high side so I passed them up. But I couldn't stop thinking about them today, so I stopped in on my way home again and put the CCL on the plastic. Didn't want some stranger buying it, you see. Since it's on plastic, I've got to explain this one somehow.

Now I need dies, brass, bullets....just about everything. I've never had a 41 before. This is just too much fun.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Tell her the truth, they are a hard to find rifle that you got at a great price and you know they are already selling for more than that on the net and it will increase in value faster than money in the bank. Might not want to mention you will be in the ground before you ever sell it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ohh, Jayhawker you've been a bad puttytat!! :lol: I think Sure-Shot 's advice is the best thing going. The old good investment angle. I gave up coming up with excuses, I just buy the stuff and say live with it , its my hobby. Although, I try and be as responsible as possible and only use my alotted spending money. Good Luck!!

G

·
Truth is over rated.

Play dumb.

"Wha..., I told you about that a couple of weeks ago..."

:twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
830 Posts
I hope she is understanding. I would be in trouble. It is so hard to cover up a purchase in plastic.

My advise is to surprise her with jewlery. That is what I did last time I bought a gun. Got her pearls. Another time I bought a new dishwasher. That worked well too.

Give her the jewlery before you tell her you got the gun. :wink:

Corbi

·
Registered
212 Posts
Get on your knees, crying of course(visine works good) grab her pant leg and scream "It wasn't my fault, I swear to God"!!! :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The answer is so simple just say look what I bought for you honey. My safe is full of guns that my wife believes are hers. :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Trust me...the investment idea backfires easily. Investments by definition are supposed to yield a profit to be used in times of need. "Need" is such a relative term!

·
Registered
485 Posts
tell her you dropped it while you was looking @ it & cracked the stock so you had to buy it :shock: then tell her seeing as how you got it you need to fix it to sell & recoop your money, then buy bullets & dies with stock $ coarse it might take awhile to sell it :lol: mike243

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
The investment angle is a good one, but kinda iffy with some wives. (I've had several, they were all different.) Calling the gun hers works well, tell her you wanted to get her something so that you can spend more time together. Just be prepared for the possibility that she may someday outshoot you, that can happen. If it does, take it like a man, and tell her you need to double the ammo/reloading budget, so you can practice more.

If she's an understanding soul, just tell her the guns are scarce, and it is something you'll always cherish and love her for. Since you used plastic, you're already busted anyway.

But if you can keep your funds seperated, or hide a slush fund, you can buy all the Marlins you want, as long as they look basically the same. A buddy of mine had 18 Marlins, the wife knew about ONE. They all looked the same to her. As long as he only took one out of the safe at a time, she was none the wiser! :twisted:

Let your conscience be your guide. If that doesn't work, plead insanity and blame it all on Marlinitis!

Papajohn

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am lucky, my wife has never cared. She has actually told me to buy a few guns that I had convinced myself I did not need. She has also bought me some for gifts. Yes, I am truly a lucky man.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
Bullseye, we ALL need to know what method you used for her brainwashing technique! Enquiring minds need to know this kind of stuff. And if she has any like-minded sisters, shoot me an e-mail. But JUST me.......... :lol:

PJ

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
If the bills are paid and the wolf isn't at the door, I don't try to justify anything. I wanted it, I have a job, I have money, I bought it. Of course, if you play the game like that, you can't moan about every purchase the wife makes either...

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I was going to sacrifice my AR-15 and all the goodies to round up some money for an M1A but my wife told me to keep the AR and just buy the M1A, too.

Hmmmm.

I think aliens came down and sucked my wife's brain out or something. God, I love that woman.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just to follow up. Not only did she not have a problem with the purchase, she told me if I thought I wanted another that I should get it. Now I'm really confused.

Do you think she knows I've been running a secret gun fund all these years? Should I come out of the closet or is she up to something? Maybe I've just been a good boy or is this a way for the Almighty to play games with my head? Just when you think you have your spouse figured out, they surprise you like this. What ever the reason, I really feel life is good. Now, to get out and enjoy it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This has to be one of the most talked about gun subjects on the 'net.

Here's how you do it: You tell her "I am the MAN, I make the MONEY and I will spend it on what a WANT, when I want."

Or you pay cash, sneak them into the house and shut your mouth.

Either way works.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My wife's pretty sharp and has surprised me by noticing when another rifle shows up. She usually just makes a comment about the safe filling up soon (it will someday) or something like that, although she has also made note of the wood being nicer than on the other ones. She hasn't really questioned the slush fund I keep going, but she must know. This is the first one in a very long time that I've put on plastic, and since she has always done the finances, that takes away the invisibility game that I guess we play.

On a similar note, I went to a gunshow yesterday and couldn't believe the comments I overheard. There are an awful lot of guys out there that are convinced their wifes will kill them if they buy a rifle without prior authorization. It really put a interesting perspective on things.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Truth be told a few years back the wife told me to quit buying her jewelry as she had more then she could wear. Then when I started collecting Marlins, she said as long as the bills are paid go ahead, I should have a hobby. Now when I do sell duplicates I occassionally drop a couple hundred on her for whatever (usually spends it on grandchildren). Only complaint has been when I wanted to buy the third safe, she is afraid there won't be enough room for her shoes. Will be married 33 years this May.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts