Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the supposed line-up with the aperature sights and how the eye/brain is supposed to automatically align the rear aperature and all you're supposed to do is concentrate on the front sight.

But is this how you guys experience it or do you look at the rear one, too ? ? ?

Do you consciously think about the rear aperature?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I just look thru it. This pre-supposes that the stock fits you well enough that you are looking thru the peep and at the front when you mount the weapon. If it doesn't fit perfectly, a split second adjustment might be necessary, but then you can ignore the back. The eye will focus on the brightest point of the peep...the exact center...honest. I really should get a cheek pad for the GG...the stock is not near high enough.

G

·
tubbythetuba said:
...I really should get a cheek pad for the GG...the stock is not near high enough.
What about the 1894 - same problem with the drop being too great on the comb ? ? ?

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
If you have to raise your head some to see...yep. This does not seem to bother some people. I learned having to keep my cheek firmly on the stock and could never break the habit. My buddy at work, I don't think his cheek touches his 336 stock when he's shooting that high scope on there. I'd think a heavy recoiler would put a stop to that, tho :wink:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have read the eye automatically, centers the bead in the sight. I don't know the mechanics of the operation, but it seems to be effective for me.

When I shoot at something other than paper, I do it with both eyes open. It seems to me that the dominate eye, takes over in that situation for me.

Bill

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
It took me quite a while to get used to using a receiver sight properly by looking through, not at, the rear sight. Once I got the hang of it, though, it was like magic, accurate and FAST. If you're lucky enough to have a range where you can practice on moving targets, man, you can have some fun! There are times when I'd prefer a scope, but for 90% of the shots I take the receiver sight is the way to go.

·
Registered
205 Posts
greg vs said:
No==If I think about it, I seem to screw it up (takes longer)
I'm the same way. I was thinking myself into poor scores when I took target riflery at ISU, and had to "make a conscious effort to stop making another conscious effort."

Also put me down as one of those people who has to have a certain aperture size and overall disk size to aim effortlessly. I still often find myself sort of searching for the right spot when using a very large aperture or ghost ring.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
In basic, I got into all sort of problems "knowing what I was doing" on the rifle range. The DI would go on at length about how important it was to center the front post in the exact center of the peep. Not surprisingly, I could not resist the temptation to correct him......Never got much less than 280 or so shooting for record over my career. Down in Panama, I got a real POS that would not even group for sighting in....I refused to shoot it. Since I was retiring in a couple monthes, the matter died on it's own.

I've heard, but can not confirm, that the full buckhorn sights can work like peeps as well........

·
Administrator
23,798 Posts
With aperature removed, I shoot with both eyes open same as a scope.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Just loook thru the peep and put post or bead on target position and fire. Don't think about rear sight ... front sight alignment ... front sight will automatically center in the brightest spot in the peep aperture, which is the exact center...simple and very fast.

........................TM7

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm always dubious of something my mind is just sopposed to do automaticaly ! ! ! Hmmmm . . . .

But if you guys say this works, I'll take your word for it. I just find it hard to see how course sights can render fine results, meaning that the little Williams Firesight bead I have - the smallest they make - seems to cover my whole target paper at 100 yds. How can one be accurate like that ? ? ? ? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
455 Posts
CapeBuff said:
I'm always dubious of something my mind is just sopposed to do automaticaly ! ! ! Hmmmm . . . .

But if you guys say this works, I'll take your word for it. I just find it hard to see how course sights can render fine results, meaning that the little Williams Firesight bead I have - the smallest they make - seems to cover my whole target paper at 100 yds. How can one be accurate like that ? ? ? ? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Do you absolutely need, or like the firesight bead?

The reason I ask, is because Lyman makes some of their front sights with very small beads.

Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
Look through the hole and shoot!

Friend, All of the guys that say just look through the sight are right. Your eye automaticaly finds the brightest part wich is the center. but if your eye is not looking through the center the most you can be off from missalignment is verry little. Lets say you have 36 IN sight radius and you are shooting at 100 yd. You would have 100 sight radius`s from gun to target. Say your rear sight hole is .100 dia ,the most error you can have for a single shot is .050 in. Take.050 times 100 =5 in.
Your eye would be clear at the edge of the peep and the sight picture would be verry blurrry. you would know somthing was wrong and correct
it without even thinking.
Chuck
Ps, wish this thing had spell check!

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I think Levers are more of a quick sighting, quick fireing "instinctive" handling type of gun. Shoot'em fast at the range & it'll all fall into place.

·
Registered
455 Posts
*** THROUGH IT ***

---- Been using and preferring them since I was a kid .
---- Just hit better with them .

From scratch , I never focused awareness on the rear . ---

Just naturally looked through them , and concentrated only on holding the front , -- on target .

Even have a Ghost Ring on my Glock .

------------------- MMCOUGAR .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts