Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking at used Marlin M90 O/U shotguns and wonder if there is a way to date them based on serial number.

One I have seen has the number F3850 and is 12 gauge.

All help appreciated, including what these guns should fetch, assuming they are in good opertating condition and rate a good on the NRA scale.

Thanks,
lazer

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I generally see them in the $250-$400 range, if they are 12 ga, and no special features. A friend sold one of the engraved deluxe models last year for $1,000! Wish he had let me know, because I thought that was a very reasonable price for that model, in minty condition!

·
Registered
267 Posts
FYI

I saw one of those in Cody, Wyoming at that other gun manufacture's show, (starts with a W) a few months ago and it was right at $1000 bucks, sure looked nice who knows might have been the same one. The engraving was similar in pattern and detail as the older marlin model 'c' hammer guns. I Had already spent my cash. Also this one was just barely starting to go that purple m90 patina. Can you do anything to aid in preventing the color change on the model 90's?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
patina

oodmoff,

Not really. The frames of the model 90 are a type of iron rather than steel. They were blued by a special process that doesn't chemically age in the same way as steel & salt bluing. I guess one would just have to learn to like it - kind of like the purple color to some of the early Ruger pistols. SW

G

·
Lazer said ,"and wonder if there is a way to date them." or "How do you date a Marlin Shotgun?" Yup! Yup! ya hafta ask her out to the hunt after ya git her home off'n the shelf and past tha wife! :)
(Sorry! I just couldn't resist that one!!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts