Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For long hikes, what have you found to be the best way to latch/strap your rifle to your pack? I've got an internal frame multi day pack. I'll be hiking at 10,000'+ for about 7 miles. Would like to have both hands free as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use a Kifaru Base Camp pack with the gun bearer. Works well.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I often carry a ithaca 66 shotgun in a rothco scabbord when using the muzzle loadeder during regular fire arms season, I ran the molle straps around the cinch starps on my back pack.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
I just carry mine with a Brownell's Latigo sling

·
Registered
255 Posts
I've never cared for most of the gun carrying packs though I do own a couple. Some I've found are way over built. I have an Eberlestock that weighs 10 pounds empty. By the time I get it loaded it starts to get heavy and all I can think of is that 10 pounds of dead weight I wish I didn't have.

I prefer to carry it in hand like M700 does or slung over my shoulder. There's usually a way to adapt pretty much any pack to carry a gun without too much trouble, it just takes a little imagination. Make sure though that you can easily get the gun out. Whatever your hunting has a way of appearing right when your fighting to get that darn gun loose from your pack.

Reactions: M700

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have the Eberlestock J 107 Dragonfly. It has a built in scabbard that works great. Honestly I only use it when packing in or out or hauling meat, the rest of the time I put my coffee thermos in it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we did our hike. 9.5 miles above 10,000'. Wow! Beautiful, but brutal. I carried my guide gun in a Kirafu. Started out great, but about 2-3 miles in it started bothering me. The gun kept wanting to twist causing the forward part of the pouch the stock rests in to dig into my thigh. I tried a few adjustments and none worked. I finally put the barrel behind my shoulder instead if in front. That was a lot better but it made deployment a little tricky. I'll fiddle with it more to see what will make it better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts