Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting back into using the ole smokepole once more. And I'd like to know how you carry you powder in the field. I should get one of those powder horns that is traditional..... Haven't found one that I like yet..... Any alternate ways of carrying without having a KA-BOOM on my hip? :shock:

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
The powder horn is a good choice and can be had in a lot of sizes if you make your own. If you are so inclined I would caution you to make your plug with a very close tolerence fit as I have seen shooters dump a whole horn and have to refill it. You can take a horn and an old cast frying pan with lid full of water over a gas grill burner and get it hot enough to make it soft and pliable make a wooden form in the shape of a flattened cone about one inch by three on the large end for a form. With this you can make a hip flask that won't have the plug pointing down ever. Trick is to find a real large horn and use the the large end. The tip could be used for a pan charger or a small hunting horn.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I carry my BP in premeasured charges in old plastic 35 mm film containers, non sparking and it can be squeezed together to form a spout of sorts to pour the powder dorectly into the barrel. Very easy to carry 6 or so in each hunting coat pocket if you want that many.

Swany, I have 2 or 3 old cow horns I have been saving to make traditional powder horns out of but lost myself on your directions, could you make it a bit clearer for an old guy like me? Thanks...What is the flattened cone shape for? Merry CHRISTmas to all....<><.... :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've got two powder flasks. One with a 25gr spout for my revolver, the other with huge 100gr spout for my rifle.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I carry plastic speed loaders. Usually just two. I too would like a horn though.....

·
Administrator
23,793 Posts
MSP Ret said:
I carry my BP in premeasured charges in old plastic 25 mm film containers, non sparking and it can be squeezed together to form a spout of sorts to pour the powder dorectly into the barrel. Very easy to carry 6 or so in each hunting coat pocket if you want that many.

Swany, I have 2 or 3 old cow horns I have been saving to make traditional powder horns out of but lost myself on your directions, could you make it a bit clearer for an old guy like me? Thanks...What is the flattened cone shape for? Merry CHRISTmas to all....<><.... :D
A cone is much of what is says, think of an ice cream cone and then flatten the large end which is all you need to do with the horn after getting it extremely hot of course, to make it pliable thats why I say to use a gas grill with side burner and a cast covered pan. Make your plug out of wood, in the shape of the flattened cone, it will be too long and must be trimmed after you shape the horn and allow it to dry and reharden.
#1 Clean, your horn and get rid of all the ridges on the inside of the end you are going to plug. I do recommend cutting the horn back until you have at least 3/32 thickness all around.
#2 Make your flattened cone out of a nice hardwood with some grain to it a knot where limb and trunk meet, is a nice look. Or go to a lumber company with your wishes. Sand the cone to a good finish, avoid making highs and lows as this will be the plug you are going to insert for the large end.
#3 Boil the horn and make it pliable at this point I should state that you will need some good insulated gloves such as welding gloves with latex gloves inside in case the water penetrates.
#4 Let dry with plug in the horn, mark the depth before removing with a pencil.
#5 Remove the plug and cut to 1/2 inch thick
#6 Reinstall with some good expoxy glue.
#7 Drill with a fine wire drill, just a bit smaller than the tacks you will use to make it look like thats what is holding the plug in.

Here is where I generally veer from the traditional, I like the plunger type valve you can get at most black powder supplies which has a 3/8th fine threaded hole which makes it easier to fill when needed. But we will stick to the traditional type method.

Since we are making a flask out of a horn. You need to drill at least a 1/4 inch hole for filling the horn on the small end. The end of the horn will likely be at least 1/4 inch thick, with a small tapered file or a small rat tailed file file a ring into the horn you will be wrapping a piece of leather lacing or wire around this so you can secure your strap, moisten the leather strap and attache it firmly to the groove you filed in it and secure it tightly until dry. One other method that I have used to do this is to drill a couple of 1/8 holes and loop wire through them to attach the strap.

From these suggestions I do hope you will only use as a guide and think of a better way, these are some of the things that have worked for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts