Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use to remove minor rust from outside of barrel and not damage bluing. At the gun shop one guy said use gun oil and 4/0 steel wool and another guy said to use NEVR-DULL. Whats your experience with this issue.

·
Registered
325 Posts
My 30AS started out with some slight rust deposits on it, the aforementioned method does miracles, other than some slightly thinned bluing where the rust was there's no sign of it left!

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GREAT ! thanks for the info. The spots are on the underside of the barrel in front of the forearm piece and very light.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Not sure what it's called, Big 45 maybe. It looks likr a steel dishwashing pad but is made to remove rust but not blueing, works great.

Reactions: ponycarman

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Thanks to all who responded to Bassman1's question. I saved the answers for future work on one of my rifles.

Jack

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Boy, steel wool makes me nervous. I am always concerned about it scratching rather than making the blue look better. So far, Ive only used Gun Oil on the bluing after cleaning the rifle, then letting it sit overnight. I wipe off the excess the next day with a soft cloth. I think it looks better, and at least the rust isn't getting worse.

I might try steel wool on one of my rifles that is somewhat pitted to test the above process.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: Tom T.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The 0000 steel wool and oil works, just have to be careful. A copper bristle brush and oil will work as well.

Or one of these works very well. Even for cleaning bores. I use one all the time. Works great and won't damage blueing.

Big 45 Frontier Metal Cleaner

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
Thanks ponycarman, I made a note of it and will look for it when I am going to place another order for supplies.

Mike T.

·
Registered
956 Posts
No problem. I grabbed one from their website a couple years back when I started picking up older and milsurp firearms.It is still going strong It has been a lifesaver for removing light rust. And it is $6 shipped. :tee:

Works well at removing heavy leading as well.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
0000 steel wool works like a charm. I used it on a Glenfield that I traded for. Don't make the newbie mistake that I did and think that a "plastic" scrubbing pad would be softer than "steel" wool. It didn't take but a stroke to scratch the blueing. Luckily I didn't do too much harm. Just thought I'd give a heads up on the scrubbing pads.

Real Life=1, Logic=0 (logic gets me in trouble all the time)

Mop

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I do not use any kind of steelwool i use wd40 and a large pencil eraser this does not remove blueing like steel wool but removes rust use the wd40 to soften the rust and wipe with a soft cloth then rub with eraser to remove rust i do not use steel wool on my guns

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I do not use any kind of steelwool i use wd40 and a large pencil eraser this does not remove blueing like steel wool but removes rust use the wd40 to soften the rust and wipe with a soft cloth then rub with eraser to remove rust i do not use steel wool on my guns
Boy, not a bad idea! I will give that a try tonight!

Mike T.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
A #3 plead pencil ran across rust spots cuts it right off. Carpenter pencil does it faster. Oil on a cloth wipes the lead marks right off. Bronze wool and oil for large areas.
In Army Basic Training (1968) we were told to rub a pencil (#2 was most common) over the rust. It worked well on small patches or rust and I continue to do this.

Reactions: Mop
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.