Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, All

I finally got around to cleaning the Model 60 I recently acquired. It was built in 1980 (no bolt release), shot little and cleaned less. :roll: The barrel seemed OK, but the action was filthy. To remove the action, I had to undo three screws rather than the "squeeze tab" mentioned in some places. I have no idea if that is old or new.

I also noticed that there is the end of a spring sticking into the bolt area when the action is cycled. Is this the ejector? If so, is the this the new or older type.

After cleaning, I found that the feed area appears to be constructed in two halves and is chromed. Yeah, it was THAT dirty when I started. Which version is this?

Having examined the action, I now understand why most on the Web advise not taking it apart. The thing is a nightmare of springs, shafts and C-clips. There is clearly some grit or lead shavings under a lever in the action where it fits closely with the body. I reckon I will let the crud find its own way out. :lol:

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Somewhere around here are the compiled remains of my beloved first gun, a 1988 Marlin model 60, in a baggie. Thanks to my 'traiend killer' friend I'm missing a part or two.

My advice is to separate the action from the barrel and receiver (one pin) and squirt with carb cleaner. Be careful not to get it in your eyes! Do NOT oil it very much as the remaining oil wil trap nearly ALL unburned powder in the action leading to the crud again.

·
Registered
455 Posts
SquirrelSniper said:
Somewhere around here are the compiled remains of my beloved first gun, a 1988 Marlin model 60, in a baggie. Thanks to my 'traiend killer' friend I'm missing a part or two.

My advice is to separate the action from the barrel and receiver (one pin) and squirt with carb cleaner. Be careful not to get it in your eyes! Do NOT oil it very much as the remaining oil wil trap nearly ALL unburned powder in the action leading to the crud again.
SqS - Did you get your RFC thingy squared away?

Bill

·
Registered
455 Posts
SquirrelSniper said:
Yes sir! I post as 'SqS-NbS' over there. I mostly confine myself to the Hunting, Marlin and CZ forums.
You like the CZ?

I just got a new CZ 452 American in 22 Magnum. I also have a 22LR and a 17 HMR in the 452 Varminter.

Bill

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SquirrelSniper

Sorry to hear about your Marlin. Don't you just love trained experts?

Mine is the older version that requires removing three screws. I have a copy of the later manual that shows your type.

Having seen the crud in there before, I tried to be sparing with the lube. We will see when I shoot it.

·
Banned
843 Posts
LVSteve,,,,,yep,, you will have to do what SquSn says. Periodically remove the action and flush out with carb or break cleaner. Compressed air assist in the flushing, too. Keep these solvents off wood, of course. That's what it takes to keep the working man's self loader functioning.

.......................TM7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts