Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a model 39A and a 39 AS, the actions are a bit stiff, (more so on the 39AS).
I recently polished and wore in a 1894C by working the lever a couple hundred times, but the 39's just don't seem to be wearing in or smoothing up regardless how many times I work their actions.
The 39A is over 30 years old I bought used and appears to have been shot some, and I'd expect it to be even smoother than my like new 1894.
I know the actions between the 39 and 1894 are completely different.
Any tips, tricks how I can get the 39's as smooth or close to the 1894?

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Try Gunslick on the moving parts, and keep working the action and shooting it. Mine is a 1975 model and I think it's very slick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've disassembled my (new) 39A and have stoned the high-spots on the action. Everything was disasembled as it needs a crown too.

While I don't advocate this for everyone (have a qualified gunsmith slick up you action if your not sure), if you know which parts mate and are not flush, stoning can help.

I'm using a dry lube (Kry-Tech) on the action as it will not attract dirt/burned powder residue like oil does. Yet it has moly to for the metal to metal mating surfaces.

Again, if you're unsure about any firearm, have a qualified gunsmith perform the work. Or at a minimum, have them validate what you have performed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
I took it apart, and lightly polished the bolt and some rough machined areas in the receiver with some very fine wet/dry 600 paper, I also lubed the action with some Slick 50 and worked the lever a couple hundred times.
Took it apart again, cleaned it and very lightly oiled it and put it back together and appears to be smoother, now all I have to do is get to the range some time and shoot the heck out of it and hopefully it will break it in a little more.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
One thing I've done is to coat the seer with a thick lithium grease. (Penn Muscle Grease) It seems to reduce trigger pull noticably.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I like the idea of lubing the rifle up and shooting it to break it in a whole lot more than artificially wearing it with abrasives.

The first way will have you all experienced and familiar with the rifle.

The second way will reduce the rifle's usable life span.

Of course, it's YOUR rifle. ;D

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
After cleaning real well I spray with Teflon dry lube, spays on wet then dries. Not like the action is too hard to operate the lever, pump some iron. ;) ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
When my 39A was new, it was stiff also. I agree with many things said here. I did very carefully hone coarse machine marks like chuckjordan did. This was very lightly done. I also used lithium grease (one time) as did tatersoup. Between the two of them and around 600 rds the action is quite smooth. Perhaps the smoothing could have been done withoout the light honig, but when I look at the guts of my '71 Century 39, it is factory clean and smooth as rifle has been shot very little. My 39A is an '09.

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
When I was going over my 47 I noticed that the lever had a little wobble to it where it would swing left to right, so I did tighten the lever screw a tad. The lever does not move left to right now as much but it did tighten the lever to where it is not as easy to operate as it was before. I'm not so concerned as to how easy it is to lever as I am concerned about overall function in feeding and extracting without any hiccups. I would be concerned about removing metal that might lead to early malfunction in parts that would then need to be replaced.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
SHOOT THE DAMN THING!

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts