Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked and can't find info on this, does anyone know, I have several receivers and would like to separate them. Wallacem

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
Jake said:
Mine says SB2 on the side of it.
SB2 marked on the barrel means nothing, many of the early(2008) SB1 357 and 44mag rifles have barrels that are marked SB2, barrels are made in runs of 100-500 long before they're fitted to a frame. Frames aren't marked SB1 or SB2, the only way to tell them apart is to know the difference in how they're made, the biggest difference in appearance is the tang of the SB2 is skeletonized, the SB1 is solid. SB1 are cast iron, SB2 are heat treated investment cast alloy steel, there are pics showing the other differences at GBO. Madison CS can tell you what acc barrels can be fitted to the frame by the serial number also, toll free (866)776-9292.

Tim

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
"means nothing"

It means something on mine. Mine is an SB2 because it says so. If the S/N etching SB2 marked barrel matches the S/N on the reciever, then you know its an SB2. Otherwise, you shouldn't jack with it on your own...send it back for fitting or call them for identification. ;D

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
The barrel is marked SB2, that doesn't mean it's on an SB2 frame, anyone can mark the underlug with an electro engraver, the same way Gardner marked them for decades. As I said, H&R made 357mag and 44mag rifles that had SB2 marked barrels on SB1 frames for at least the first year they made them, and that doesn't count the ignorant people that swap frames around because they don't have a clue what they're doing, just because a barrel is marked SB2 doesn't mean the frame it's on is an SB2, particularly on a second hand firearm.

If you're referring to the 357Mag Talo rifle, it's on an SB1 frame, the model number is SB1-35T. It should also be marked on the right side of the frame that only the rifle barrel that came on it can be fitted to it just as stated on the H&R website.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.asp

*Note: The frame of the 44 Mag. (SB1-S44) and the 357 Mag. (SB1-S35) cannot be fit with any other centerfire rifle barrel. They are capable of being fit with accessory shotgun barrels, but their rifle capability is limited to the specific 44 or 357 Mag. barrel that it is shipped on the gun.

·
Banned
2,593 Posts
You are correct. The Box says SB1-35T. The side of the reciever says "only 357, 44, and shotgun barrels".

Its the worst example of a TALO ever produced. It will be "Jaked' when I'm done. :)

I guess you can't trust whats on a firearm anymore.

I should be able to sell it as a Ruger #1 eventhough its marked H&R SB-2 ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts