Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How Do I Know I Need a Cantilever Scope Mount on My AR? Depends on scope? Needed to add MBUS sights?

Likely will be mounting a Sightmark 5-20x 40mm either on an AR15/5.56 and/or AR 10/.308win .

Please explain when one is needed/required.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
You will have to fit the scope to the rifle and to yourself, keeping in mind how you want to use the rifle. Not easy sometimes. Look on the net for pictures of the scope, rifle and BUIS you want to use.

·
Registered
315 Posts
for me " cantilevered " is for shotguns to keep the scoped attached to the barrel but allowing use of normal eye relief scopes thru the rearward extension of the mounting base.
the AR doesn't normally need to mount the scope to the barrel; the scope goes on the upper receiver and the barrel exchanges are made with dedicated upper receivers.

·
Premium Member
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry it took so long for me to return guys, but I'm back now.

I'm "long armed" and 6ft tall. Are 1" and 2" extended cantilever mount going to be a requirement for me, or not so much ? Want one for my AR 556 and another for my soon to be acquired AR 10 Springfield Amory Saint Victor w/ 16" bbl in .308WIN. My scope is a Sightmark Rapid Series AR, 5-20x40mm SCR-308 Tactical with 30mm tube , Recticle for 150 grn..308, an is also 5.56 x 45mm compatible as well according to SM's info.

I'm looking at this mount.I decided the Aero Precision 3.7oz Ultralight cantilever mountwas not up to par in reviews, but looks like Warnes XSKELL have gotten good utube reviews... I figure I won't need the 20MOA option mount with a 308 carbine bbl?

Or do I? I never needed scopes much before and sorta in unfamiliar territory here guys. My eyes are going.......

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1592158542?pid=608226

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
for me " cantilevered " is for shotguns to keep the scoped attached to the barrel but allowing use of normal eye relief scopes thru the rearward extension of the mounting base.
the AR doesn't normally need to mount the scope to the barrel; the scope goes on the upper receiver and the barrel exchanges are made with dedicated upper receivers.
Exactly right. You only need to push the scope forward to get the eye relief you need with the cheek weld that is comfortable for you. Also, you want to place the eye piece of the scope forward of the charging handle grip point. Stay away from canted mounts as they affect point of impact. If you build uppers using quality components then the upper receiver will be in line with the barrel. I have swapped zeroed in scopes among several uppers with no more than POI going off by an inch or 2. Of course if you can afford it buy a dedicated scope for each upper which is chosen based on the caliber: I use a different scope on a 450 Bush Master than I would on a 5.56 upper.

·
Premium Member
13,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Exactly right. You only need to push the scope forward to get the eye relief you need with the cheek weld that is comfortable for you. Also, you want to place the eye piece of the scope forward of the charging handle grip point. Stay away from canted mounts as they affect point of impact. If you build uppers using quality components then the upper receiver will be in line with the barrel. I have swapped zeroed in scopes among several uppers with no more than POI going off by an inch or 2. Of course if you can afford it buy a dedicated scope for each upper which is chosen based on the caliber: I use a different scope on a 450 Bush Master than I would on a 5.56 upper.
So how are 20 MOA cantilever scope mounts an improvement for long distance shooting (anything over 300 yrds and a 20moa is needed... is what I read)? I understand the cant is downward? I am setting up to use this AR-10 .308WIN out to 500-600 yrds. Have read the 20moa mount is preferred for this ?? Is that right? BTW this Sightmark AR series scope has 70 MOA adjustment.

Someone explain to me if I'll need the 0 moa or 20 moa mount....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts