Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have carefully examined the entire rifle and the only markings on it is "Marlin Model '94" and the serial number.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
WELCOME TO MARLIN OWNERS !!!

Plano is spot on, it should have the caliber marked on top of the barrel just in front of the receiver (at the very back of the barrel).

If I had to guess based on the loading gate, it's probably a 38-40 or a 44-40. They also made them in 25-20 and 32-20, but the loading gates are a little different for the smaller calibers - ask me how I know.

It could be marked 38W or 44W or something to that effect.

Very cool - more pictures would be awesome!

Welcome.

B

Reactions: cds4570 and Joally

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Joally -- Welcome to Marlin Owners. Take another look on the top of the barrel between the receiver and rear sight. It will look something like this. In this case 32W is 32-20 Winchester Center Fire.

View attachment 99413

There should also be a roll stamp with several lines of information on top of the barrel ahead of the rear sight. It should look something like this.

View attachment 99414

If you can't see this, it may help to post some pictures of the area, and maybe we can figure out what's up.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm guessing if it had a caliber marking, it would normally be at a point that would be under that rear sight elevator. Does that sight seem far back to you Wind?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
And M700, you're right - the next easy step would be to measure the bore diameter.

Of course, these are approximates, as we all know the variations in these old guns, but the bullet diameter for the most common 1894 chamberings would be -

44-40 about .426-427"
38-40 about .401-402"
32-20 about .311-.312"
25-20 about .257-258"

You're mileage may vary . . .

B

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Brian and Joally -- The caliber marking may be under the rear sight leaf. Wouldn't hurt to bump the sight out and see. That doesn't appear to be a Marlin rear sight typical to that rifle. The advice to slug the bore is sound. That will at least establish the caliber. I would be suspicious of a barrel change somewhere in the past. There were a lot of Winchester 92's and Marlin 94's rebored for .357 in the late thirties through the fifties by folks wanting that new wonder cartridge. A lot of shot out rifles went down this road. We all love a good mystery!

I have a Winchester with a mystery barrel. Not a mark on it. The receiver dates to 1906. Similar sight position, although a genuine Winchester Carbine rear sight...

View attachment 99421 View attachment 99422 View attachment 99423

Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I measured the muzzle the best I could and it measured a touch over 3/8", so that would make it a 38-40, right? And I looked under the rear site and found no other markings. Thanks for all of your help!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
As Wind said, it might have been rebarreled or rechambered somewhere along the line. I would also be suspect of the .357 Magnum. Slugging the barrel will give you the actual bore size and shed a lot of light here.

If you measured a little over 3/8" (.375), it would possibly point towards a 38-40, but without barrel markings I would proceed slowly and diligently in figuring out the mystery.

B

·
Registered
726 Posts
Joally all the adivice so far has been really sound. The chamber cast and the sluggin of the barrel will hel a lot to detmrine what she really is. Looking at the loading gate it does look more like as pistol claiber to me though. So i think your feild would be somewhere around .38 long colt or special, the infamous possible .357 magnum, .38-40 or .44-40 but the last one sounds to big if it is indeed around the 3/8 inch which as i recall measures about a .375 caliber which would point to the .38-40 being the most probale round nbut like every one else has said try the chamber cast and slug the barrel
best of luck CD

Reactions: Joally

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
The gun looks to have been put together from parts.
The receiver is actually from a takedown model.
No markings on the barrel?
I would be carefull as there is no way to tell what someone else did salvaging parts from different guns.
I would do a chamber cast!

WOW-----

Good eye Lou------explains a lot. Was a takedown at one time that has been converted to (?????) who knows what caliber with a no-name barrel from ?????. The take down function was probably ruined at some point in it's life and someone decided to "convert" it to a ?. Going to be interesting to see how this all ends up after a trip to the gunsmith. Good Luck.

Steve

·
Registered
518 Posts
I measured the muzzle the best I could and it measured a touch over 3/8", so that would make it a 38-40, right? And I looked under the rear site and found no other markings. Thanks for all of your help!
Errr would a 38-40 be more like .401" in caliber?

cd3840winchester.jpg

1 - 20 of 44 Posts