Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I have a Model 336 in .35 Remington, how difficult is it to change to .38-55:questionmark:

Is there an improvement in performance (please don't just talk speed) for target shooting:questionmark:

No, i haven't done anything like this--I don't count switching uppers on an AR as a conversion--and no, I didn't have anything to do with the two Frankin Rifles of my earlier discussions. I have seen quite a bit of literature on this since brass for the .38-55 can be formed from .35 Rem and visa versa.

Thanks.

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
since brass for the .38-55 can be formed from .35 Rem and visa versa.
I don't think your assertion is factual, comparing the saami specs on the two cartridges leads me to believe you're mistaken. I will give you the saami specs for your perusal to back up my reasoning.

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/35 Remington.pdf

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC_Drawings/Rifle/38-55 Winchester.pdf

Perhaps you could include some of the literature you have seen to dispel my confusion?

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
You want a 30-30 to get re-bored, not the 35 rem. You can use 30-30 brass to fire-form in a 38-55 if you can't find 38-55 brass. DP

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hi,

JES's doesn't list a rebore option for a 336 in 35 Rem. Usually a 35 Rem Marlin is worth more than a 30-30 so maybe sell the 35 Rem and find a 30-30 for the rebore project?

BB

Home - Reboring by J E S

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If I have a Model 336 in .35 Remington, how difficult is it to change to .38-55:questionmark:

Is there an improvement in performance (please don't just talk speed) for target shooting:questionmark:

No, i haven't done anything like this--I don't count switching uppers on an AR as a conversion--and no, I didn't have anything to do with the two Frankin Rifles of my earlier discussions. I have seen quite a bit of literature on this since brass for the .38-55 can be formed from .35 Rem and visa versa.

Thanks.
While anything is possible, it is not a practical conversion as you would require a new barrel and perhaps a new bolt or bolt modification as well since the .35 case is larger than the .38-55.
Why, may I ask, would you want to convert a .35 to .38-55? The .35 is more powerful in normal loadings and less trouble to reload as the brass is more durable. I have both calibers in Marlin format and while both are near and dear to my heart, if something needs shooting, the .35 gets the nod. Other options abound if you just want a .38-55.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Just watching this one.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Oop's....:flute:

Reactions: minute-of-berm

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You want a 30-30 to get re-bored, not the 35 rem. You can use 30-30 brass to fire-form in a 38-55 if you can't find 38-55 brass. DP
I've already got a barrel and mag tube, so I don't need to get it re-bored.
But thanks, I hadn't looked at the SAAMI because I was thinking change the barrel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the insight. I hadn't done all my homework, obviously. I was wondering because I have a barrel in .38-55 and a 336 in .35 Rem.
All of the above is looking for a new home so I figured I would ask about the potential of turning it .35 into a .38-55 for the Cowboy shooters.
The real question is how much trouble would it be to tune up the action and change the barrel and magazine tube?

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Changing the barrel, unless you have the right tools, is best left to a qualified gunsmith. If the 38-55 barrel is the same length and fore arm configuration you won't likely need a different mag tube.

Sell your .35 rem bolt and buy a 30-30 bolt with the correct width hammer slot. Have the bolt available when the barrel is swapped so the gunsmith can set the headspace.

Then sell the .35 barrel and you're done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts