Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad died when I was very young but my mom was great. She gave me a BB gun at about 7. Taught me to line the sights and pull the trigger. The tin can dinged and I was hooked for life... Later about age 13 my brohter-in-law bought a Marlin 336 30-30. Did the same thing with it but the can went about 30 yards straight up. This reinforced my love for shooting and it has intensified since.

How about you?

Ss

·
Registered
75 Posts
My Daddy got me started shooting at a very young age. He taught me and my brother both to shoot with a Remington model 510 22 single shot rifle. I still have that rifle. Daddy bought me my first Glenfield Marlin, a model 60 with the Squirrel on the stock. At 13 he bought me my first deer rifle, a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Dad has good taste in rifles, and he passed on to me the love of thhe Marlin Lever Rifles. One more thing, I still have all these rifles also......Thanks Dad, today is his birthday, he's 77 and still shoots with me.....Ray

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
When I got to BB gun age I received my first Daisy. Problem was, it was during WW11. BB's were
none available, as were many things.

I shot many finishing nails of a certain size for several years. You might say that I was a muzzle
loader from the beginning. There was a good supply of nails in the barn already from before the
war.

I have no idea how the folks acquired the rifle. Probably made before the war.

Accuracy with nails is nothing to brag about, but we had many blackbirds. Even a nail shooter
will get a bird once in awhile.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
I got a Daisy Red Ryder for Christmas when I was 4yrs old.

I bought my first rifle (Marlin 39A Mountie) at age 7 with paper route money.

·
Registered
141 Posts
my grandfather was retired, but worked Sat and Sun at a shooting range and reloaded all his ammo. I contracted the disease thru him (Marlinitis).... Guns and reloading are my passion,

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
It all started with lever daisy bb gun shooting rats at the local dump with a friend and his dad on the week end. I was 10 then .a year later i got my junior hunting lic and started hunting with dad and the uncles thats been 41 years ago and their all gone now and i miss them dearly. But every time i am out in the whitetail woods or at the shooting range they are there with me and thats my story. :)

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
I don't remember becoming fasinated with guns. I guess I was born addicted. ;D

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Started out when I was 7 or 8 years old with my daddy's ole Marlin mod 80 bolt 22, been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My dad gave me a winchester model 75 22 bolt action when i was 7. Been shooten straight since then.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
I got a Crossman BB gun when I was a kid because I had been bugging the parental units for one... wore that thing out ;D But I think it really got started when I bought my 336CS in .35Rem brand new in 1987. Then I rediscovered hunt'n and shoot'n after a 20yr lay off from it. Now a days it's the Marlin Model 60 .22 that gets most of the work :D

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
I started with the old BB-guns but I think I got hooked by watching good old westerns on TV. 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I was definately hooked by the time I had a Dick Tracy 38 snubbie and remember some TV tale of Lincoln Vale of the Everglades or some such title. It was all down hill from there. Never did get the air boat though.
Bestboss

·
Registered
753 Posts
Guns were frowned on by my parents, but started with a buddy in 8th grade (and my best bud since 1976, we fish and hunt Up Nort' every year in WI) with Daisy, Crosman, Sheridan air rifles.
Had to lower my Sheridan 5mm pump out the 2nd story Cape Cod on a string to pick off the local grackles, starlings, crows, chipmunks and tree rats every time and run off to the creek.
My older brother and I had at least 5 .22 rifles and shotguns before the folks figured this out.

My folks encouraged us with pets, fishing, growing vegetable gardens, picking berries, all that stuff.
Guns and shooting weren't on the list. Had to outsource for that to get the experience.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My Dad was on a rifle team in the Army and I would sit and listen to his buddies when they came over after a match. Then, my Dad bought a 12ga Savage bolt action for my 12th birthday and we'd go to the Rod and Gun Club to shoot skeet and trap. That and western shows (Gunsmoke, Rifleman, Bonanza, etc.) were my start.

Marlinitis came to me in 1980 when I bought my first one - a 1979 1894 in .44 magnum.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I got started with a Stevens single shot shotgun .410 and just went downhill from there. Got to shoot rifles in military and picked up this nasty habit of wanting firearms. Contracted Marlinitis about two years ago, been a lost cause since then but my wife tolerates it well. take care, John.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
My brother and I were both started out on Dad's single shot Winchester .22 when we were small. I was born in "37, so i remember the shortages as the result of the war effort. BBs were not to be had, so no need for a BB gun. I do remember shooting finishing nails from a friend's BB gun. Nails were hard to come by so we used recycled nails. .22s and shotgun shells were hard to come by. Sometimes you could get maybe 10 or even hit pay dirt and get a half box of shorts. Most commodities were in short supply. Gasoline and tires were rationed, sugar was in short supply. Mom recycled flour sacks to make shirts and undergarments. One of my grandfathers passed away in '59. Recently one of my cousins children gave me a box of mementos (she never knew Grandpa) containing a few things that today's generation would not understand. One of the items was a bill from the local store showing the purchase of .22 shells and a cigar, among other things. On this transaction, the store keeper was paid with eggs! Believe it or not, the ending balance was smaller than the starting balance. Another item in the effects is a coupon from the local board of stabilization good for two tires. I asked Dad about the coupon one time and why it remained unused. His answer was that the coupon allowed for the purchase, if you could find them. Good day, Jack

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
My Dad got me started at 8 yrs old. Whenhe had a few hours off work on an evening, he would take me plinking, teaching me how to shoot a .22. He was an excellent teachr, as he too grew up poor even before the Great Depression, and a squirrel, rabbit, anything to eat was expected every shot by his dad. ( I never knew my grandad, he died in a sawmill accident 3 yrs before I was born.) When I was 10, he bought me a single shot Stevens .22, and every now and then he would buy me a box of ammo. Usually shorts ( which he hated) but alot of Longs and Long rifles. Hollow points were used on cottonmouths and other snakes, never on small game. Since my dad worked almost everyday in the oilfields, he mostly hunted swamp rabbits ( a big Southern Hare) at night when it was cool or winter. He loved to headlight, and shot them with an old Mossberg bolt action 20ga. He was one of the best navigators by dead reckoning I have ever known. W/o the sun, or a night, I am "going" to walk in the big circle to my left,ha. He always made an effort to take me on Saturdays or Sunday squirreling hunting during the season. I started with my grandpa's 410 ( on my mom's side) but as I learned how to hunt, sit & watch, I went to the .22 exclusively. Later in life, I hunted small game with all kinds of shotguns, but still like the scoped .22 sniping the best! Funny, I live here in mule deer/elk country, and I still miss hunting small game in SE Texas,ha.

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
Guess I was born into it. Dad wasn't brought up with them but acquired a taste for them from friends and an uncle that he occasionally hunted with as a youngster. When his uncle hung up his hunting boots, he gave him the 336RC that was eventually handed down to me. My 'great uncle' passed away before I was born, but I think about what a great man he must have been, to have taken his nephew out hunting and show him "the ropes". Like a lot of you, I also started with a BB gun as my first gun when I was about 6 and quickly moved up to a Winchester 410.My first rifle was a ruger 10-22 that has taken a few squirrel and rabbit. A few guns have come and gone over the years, but my father's love of guns has been inherited by me and hopefully, will transcend through future generations.

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
I too was born in it.If you didnt hunt,you stayed home.. But red ryder,John wayne,and the rifleman and a good many others had alot to do with me loving levers.
Gunrunner,,

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Dad! May he rest in peace. With a few guns around the house as long as I can remember. Once he saw how hooked I was he was bringing home books for me. Big thick books of 6 or 700 pages that were given to him for me. Gun digest/ encyclopedia and such! Then he let me order Guns n Ammo mag amoung a few other outdoor magazines! By the time I was 12 I had an understanding of velocities, trajectory and all kinds of centerfire cartridges! Ah then women came into my life and slowed me down a bit! Just a bit! ;) Between guns, hunting and fishing my Dad made my life as good as it could be! Thank you Dad! :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts