Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
30/30 RC lovers aren't jumpin' all over this Gun Broker auction

marlin 336 rc carbine 30 30 cal scoped cheap Auction # 231368015

WITH A BUY-IT-NOW OF $199.00 ?????????????????????????????????????????????????

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
It's not a .35Rem............ and we can't have "Truck Guns" here!;)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
When you add shipping, FFL and background check you can find one locally and probably in better condition for your $280.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
There are more things than..........price involved. :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
How about
The barrel is pitted pretty good by the rear sight, signs of minor pitting lots of other places. Bluing is worn on all the high spots and a lot is worn near the end of the barrel. Seller doesn't mention that. So you have to wonder what the bore looks like and how good are the internal parts.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"How about
The barrel is pitted pretty good by the rear sight, signs of minor pitting lots of other places. Bluing is worn on all the high spots and a lot is worn near the end of the barrel. Seller doesn't mention that. So you have to wonder what the bore looks like and how good are the internal parts".

You guys are just looking for excuses; how many times have I seen folks here talking about buying a Marlin with all kinds of wear, thin blue, rust, cracked stock problems, etc; and thinking they got a good deal at $250? And how many times have folks posted here about paying $375 and more for a 30/30 "Texan"; and everybody singing his praises about what a great deal! So now a rare, early vintage RC "Texan" comes along and the only comments here are from folks nit-picking for "warts". The seller never claimed the gun to new; but I don't think there's a forum member here who's seen Marlins in really poor condition priced much higher. Heck, some knucklehead paid a lot more than $199 just for a used set of plain Marlin stocks off Ebay last week. Go figure??

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Well now Rachethead.....

Since most pristine early vintage Texans go for $500+ most of the time if someone gets one for $375 in pretty good condition....yeah I'm going to tell him he got a good deal.

Now, I work 60hrs+ a week and on top of that I have a 2hr per day drive......I don't have time to take on a project gun like that to put it back in it's rightful condition. I don't have any use for a gun in that condition, nor would I want one.

What guns I have, I take better care of than most people...... I keep all my possessions in emaculate condition....especially my guns...I was raised by a wise man and taught to only buy something once and make it last!

·
Registered
243 Posts
i'll agree with sixguns, if you buy every cheap gun you see, you'll end up with a bunch of cheap guns! i don't mind doin' some simple things to gun's i buy, but when they look like that they need to much work. if you were to reblue it and fix it up, you could have just bought one that's nice to begin with. there not rare as of now, there gettin' harder to find. the last show i went to a guy had one for $400, and everybody that looked at it asked if it 35 rem. and he'd say no, and they would move on. now i feel dumb for not buying it, but another one will come along sometime. like i need one more. ::)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, somebody saw the value in this piece, as it is gone now! When I posted this head's up it was well intended because I am under the impression that straight-gripped Marlins are highly sought here, and hopefully some MO member is the new owner; for although the original finishes might not have been the greatest, the screws shown remained good and the gun was well worth the asking price. At any rate, and since my evaluations are so far off the mark, I promise I won't be wasting everyone's time with anymore "head's up" posts going forward.

And Brother Six_guns I work much more than 60 hours every week; but whenever I have the time, tinkering/working on an old gun is a source of relaxation for me. Personally, and as hard as I've tried, I've found it impossible to keep a hunting gun in "emaculate condition"; seems a little blue wear here and a few minor scratches there are just facts of life, although I have found that I can avoid those problems as long as I leave a gun in the gun safe. But unlike you, I always considered my father an idiot; so that could be the root cause of my problems.

·
Premium Member
5,925 Posts
Rachethead said:
And Brother Six_guns I work much more than 60 hours every week; but whenever I have the time, tinkering/working on an old gun is a source of relaxation for me. Personally, and as hard as I've tried, I've found it impossible to keep a hunting gun in "emaculate condition"; seems a little blue wear here and a few minor scratches there are just facts of life, although I have found that I can avoid those problems as long as I leave a gun in the gun safe. But unlike you, I always considered my father an idiot; so that could be the root cause of my problems.
Brother Rachethead,
I hear what you're saying, I guess I should have said "try" to keep them all in emaculate condition ;)

Also, I should have mentioned I'm fortunate to already have one of those vintage RC Texans chambered in .30-30.....but I'd be interested in one chambered in .35Rem!

·
Super Moderator
12,199 Posts
I briefly thought about buying that one, $240 shipped with transfer would have been a fair deal for a project gun. But I already have too many projects so resisted the urge.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rachethead, yes a MO member bought the RC. I admit, it was me. I am able to use my C&R license, so it cost me $230, which I thought was worth the gamble. I have a couple of ideas for it depending on the actual condition.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Rachethead said:
Well, somebody saw the value in this piece, as it is gone now! When I posted this head's up it was well intended because I am under the impression that straight-gripped Marlins are highly sought here
Understand that, but you did pose the question of why it hadn't been bought yet, which was the point of my response earlier.

·
Banned
3,041 Posts
LOL . Thanks for the headsup there Rachethead . Someone was smart enough to figure out that it was just what they needed to do that straight stock converson they been wanting to do to their favorite P.G. rifle .

Some of us understand what you were doing . And 1 someone, somewhere is very glad you posted the headsup , maybe a member here .

Thanks for sharing with us. :) Kerr

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
six_gunz said:
It's not a .35Rem............ and we can't have "Truck Guns" here!;)
we can't in Md either,...never stopped me from carrying the daisy 1894 replica just to tick off the gendarmes in my area though...not that I disrespect LEO's , but still love to let them check it out only to find it only holds BB's :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts