Marlin Firearms Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Back in the early 80's, they were brought into Ill to take wounded deer, I guess they though they would just eat during deer season. Well they started breeding with ferrel dogs . It got were the GW's would only go out in pairs with 12 ga & 00 buck,they put one gw up tree all night, he shot 15 with 18 rds. Note to self take lot's more ammo!!

Reactions: Drm50

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
My youngest son was about 12 years old and a patient youngster and good shot I had him in a box stand with a mini-14 scoped and heard him shoot. It was the ugiliest yote/dog cross I have ever seen and it had a big square head like a pitbull. Its the only dog cross I have eve seen. Last year I looked down the pipeline and there stood two yotes that were the biggest I have ever seen When I first saw thm I thought deer until I realized they were yotes. They had a lot of red fur on them that I had never noticed on a yote. I cut down on one of them with a 270 wsm and the durn scope popped me between the eyes I was holding the rifle too loose I guess but I killed the yote If I had to guess I would say he weighed 45-50 pounds but he sure had pretty fur.

·
Registered
12,977 Posts
Back in the early 80's, they were brought into Ill to take wounded deer, I guess they though they would just eat during deer season. Well they started breeding with ferrel dogs . It got were the GW's would only go out in pairs with 12 ga & 00 buck,they put one gw up tree all night, he shot 15 with 18 rds. Note to self take lot's more ammo!!
If we could prove that we would be taking Ill. to court for damages. So would a lot of other states East of Mississippi River. The individual that thought this up would have to go into witness protection. What is maddening is there are people who will argue that Coyotes had always been here, we just didn’t see them. They push that at people who live in the sticks for 200yrs in same area. The wildest country this idiots ever been is the strip of shrubs in a mall parking lot. The deer and turkey were a success story for DNR.
The habitat was here and only reason deer & Turkey were gone was they were wiped out for food. The Grouse are still scarce. There is more Grouse cover than ever. I don’t by the Turkey vs Grouse story. The winter of 76-77 with so many rains and freezes put the hurting on a lot of birds. The Grouse were gone before the coyote appeared.

·
Registered
114 Posts
... and see a yote running off with fife in it's mouth, then it's a call to arms, something has to be done about this "menace"...
Some years ago the crazy cat lady who lived across the road was giving me hell for shooting a "dog." Between her hollering to call the law and calling me a sackful of bad names, I finally got her to understand it was coyote.

"Coyotes? What are they doing here?"

"Lady, where do you think your missing cats got off to?"

·
Registered
114 Posts
Many of us here in Kentucky theorize that coyotes were able to migrate eastward by crossing the Mississippi River when it was frozen. In 1977 and ‘78, the Ohio Valley region experienced brutal winters that likely allowed coyotes to wander into the state. Since then they have really proliferated and are acutely aware of where they can be hunted. See them on the airport all the time. They pretty much ignore the airplanes, but stop the tractor while mowing and they are off like a shot.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts