Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Many years ago I had a buddy who owned a farm and we would go down there and visit, hunt, etc, on weekends. Every evening we would all go out on the front porch of his old farmhouse and sit around and chew the fat....and, every evening we would hear a pack of coyote's sounding off and moving closer and closer. Eventually the whole pack would be in the front yard only feet from us and they would socialize, sound off, etc...it was quite a show....and after an hour or so they would move on. He told me that pack and its descendants had been doing the same thing almost every evening since his grandpa owned the farm! They are most likely still doing that to this day! My buddy told me that they never messed with any thing, so he never messed with them!

I can tell some coyote stories...believe me...hunted them (and with one) constantly for a good number of years.........they are canines, they are communal, they are smart, and they can be ruthless under certain conditions, but normally in the wild they are very wary of humans, although as civilization has spread out they have adjusted and will thrive in areas that are inhabited by us.

There are tales of folks taking them in...thinking they are a lost or stray dog, until a trip to the vet informed them otherwise!

If there was one that close there will most likely be more...listen for them in the evenings, and keep a sharp eye out!!!

·
Registered
819 Posts
They can be that brave around here, and it's not uncommon to hear stories of coyotes going after or snatching pets.

My mother and kid like to go horseback riding at a farm fairly near us and many times on the rides the farms two dogs will accompany the horses. On at least one occasion a pack of coyotes decided to go after the dogs with the end result being the dogs sheltering in between the horses while the entire group was partially surrounded by yotes.

Fortunately nothing happened but that was potentially an extremely bad situation if one those horses had decided to bolt.

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Good shooting.
I always take my 1894C with me when I walk the dogs on the public lands in my area. Even though my two golden are 100 pounds, I don't think they would do well against a determined or sick 50 pound coyote.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Around here, they are like everything I hunt, (deer & turkey), if you have a gun in your hand, you can't hardly find one, if you're not hunting, say, riding around they're all over you!! As my Montana buddy used to say, around here the " tree hugging, posey sniffers" think the yotes are cute, and leave them alone, until they let "little fife" out, and see a yote running off with fife in it's mouth, then it's a call to arms, something has to be done about this "menace". T Rex

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
It was really bad around these parts for coyotes and pets. Before the coyote showed up in Ohio our biggest problem was feral cats. DNR estimated them into the millions. There was hardly a day went by that I didn’t shoot at least one. From time to time there would be a dog problem but they were more like getting rid of a gang than a ongoing breeding population.
Now coyote situation has eased up a good bit. DNR says they have ate themselves out of easy existence and move on further east. The only good thing to come of the coyote invasion is the absence of Feral Cats in the countryside. It will take years for the small game to come back. The only thing we are over stocked with are Canadian Geese. No one hunts them, nobody eats them. They cause health problems there is so many of them that take up residence around towns. I know other states are having the same problems with them. I sometimes wonder if the coyote problem wasn’t a goose control idea gone bad. There are a lot of us that don’t buy the story that coyotes just turned up out of the blue.

·
Premium Member
7,784 Posts
In my neighborhood in Suffolk they are brave and wander during the day and night but can't legally shoot in the city. I could trap them but don't want to mess with that. Down at the farm they are very skittish and hard to find them. Although you can hear them in the evenings you don't seem them often.

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
In 80s I was working on Power Lines out of CEI near Solon. We were down in a hollow right off the main highway in the right of way. We were drinking coffee and waiting for fog to clear of to climb towers. We herd geese coming over head and a few came crashing down when they hit the power lines in the fog. Back towards Cleveland all the big businesses that had huge lawns would be covered with geese all day long. Goose poo all over the area.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
They're mating this time of year.
They pair up for years, sometimes life.
But if you get one without a mate...they branch out
in these months looking for a one.
Sometimes they turn up places they wouldn't normally go.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
They're mating this time of year.
They pair up for years, sometimes life.
But if you get one without a mate...they branch out
in these months looking for a one.
Sometimes they turn up places they wouldn't normally go.
You're probably right. OP didn't say if it was acting aggressively or strange in any way. Would a female seek out a mate though? I wonder.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In 80s I was working on Power Lines out of CEI near Solon. We were down in a hollow right off the main highway in the right of way. We were drinking coffee and waiting for fog to clear of to climb towers. We herd geese coming over head and a few came crashing down when they hit the power lines in the fog. Back towards Cleveland all the big businesses that had huge lawns would be covered with geese all day long. Goose poo all over the area.
The power lines that cross 422 east of town are in her back yard.

·
Super Moderator
23,899 Posts
You're probably right. OP didn't say if it was acting aggressively or strange in any way. Would a female seek out a mate though? I wonder.

if the alpha-male has been taken out....it's possible.
when that happens, the pack is in dis order until a new male
establishes dominance.
but you never know...
she could have just been looking for an easy meal.
the dog was close by.
for them, pets are on the menu.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She wasn't acting aggressive just kind of hopping as if she was trying to get the dogs to follow her. My two heelers were keeping their distance but the little dog was showing his stuff! After the shot he actually chased her for 15 or 20 yards, once she fell over he was heading for the patio. I scanned the surrounding area after the shot thinking there were more but saw nothing. Around 0500 I light the area up again and saw a set of eyes but they 300 yards out couldn't make out what it was.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts