Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 38/55 rebored by JES it has a groove of .376,I just found an old box of 50 Barnes original 255 grain bullets sized at .377 can I safely shoot them in this rifle.I also have some BTB 250gr LFNGC sized at .378 left over from a 38/55 Cowboy JES turned into a .444 for me,can I shoot the 2 thousand over in this barrel or is that to large.I have 300 of these and would like to shoot them up.Thanks for any help or opinions.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
I would be leery of shooting the Barnes without calling Barnes. The BTB's should be good to go. A pic of the 444 CB would be sweet if you can post pics., Starrbow had one done as well on a 38-55 if memory serves right. DP

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Muffler Auto part Revolver Pipe Shotgun
Revolver Auto part Hand
Here are the business end of the rifles, they have taken 8 deer so far 6 for the .444 and 2 with the 38/55.

·
Premium Member
12,022 Posts
I agree with dpe.Ahoy on the Barnes bullets.............At .378 dia.........

If the rifles groove dia (largest part of the Bore) is .376, then the actual Bore dia is likely about .373-.374 ?...and that sounds small, too......depending on how JES did the work..........And I'm only guessing, 'cuz I don't really know what a JES rebore looks like, or how deep the (his) Groove is..........

But that would say to me, that the .378 bullets are then .004-.005 over the bore?.............That would be a bit tight to my thinking, and then the hardnes of the bullet comes into play, too...................

A phone call to Barnes would give you some good info, and if Barnes says they will work, I'd begin with a "starting" load and a chronograph to check things out safely.

Tom

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tomray according to Jess the bore is .366 with a groove of .376,he recomended .375 jacketed an .376 cast and gave me his favorite loads for his rifles in a letter that came with the finished rifle.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

I agree with Tomray, no way would I shoot the over sized jacketed bullets in my rifle, you are just asking for pressure issues.

The cast bullets are marginal, I dont like to go over .002 over groove diameter. Leading usually becomes an issue as well as pressure. Why not just resize the cast bullets to the correct size? Trade the jacketed bullets for more cast bullets. Jacketed bullets are not needed in a 38-55.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks fellers for all the comments,I was not about to shoot the Barnes through the rifle until I found out more from someone who knew more than me about it.I don't want to ruin a fairly decent rifle.The cast bullets I figured would be OK but now I think I'll wait and try to find some .376 bullets.I have 715 hardcast bullets left over from the CB sized from .378,379and .380 that I will have to figure out what to do with.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hey 444CB, Those oversized bullets would go pretty quick if you put them in the trading post here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 38/55 rebored by JES it has a groove of .376,I just found an old box of 50 Barnes original 255 grain bullets sized at .377 can I safely shoot them in this rifle.I also have some BTB 250gr LFNGC sized at .378 left over from a 38/55 Cowboy JES turned into a .444 for me,can I shoot the 2 thousand over in this barrel or is that to large.I have 300 of these and would like to shoot them up.Thanks for any help or opinions.
444CB,
I have shot jacketed bullets that are more than 1 thou over groove before with no problems..
If you can hand seat the jacketed bullet in a unsized fired case you are good to go because there will be plenty of room for the case to expand and release the bullet..
Stop and think about it..
Your .377" Barnes is only 1/2 thou per side over size..
This doesn't mean you start out with max loads..
You start low and work up until you find the accuracy you want or pressure signs, what ever comes first..

Cast bullets..
Take a unsized fired case that was shot with a heavy load..
Make sure that there is no crimp from the previous load..
I use the Lee universal expander lightly to take the crimp out of the case mouth..
Take a .378" cast bullet and see if you can seat it by hand..
If you can then that means you have plenty of room in your chamber for the case to expand and release that size bullet..
You can then work up loads for that size bullet..
I generally size my lever action bullets to the largest size that will fit a fired case and that will chamber..

Why?
Because a tight fit will help keep the case and the bullet in better alignment with the bore which = better accuracy..
This is basic..

444CB,
I see in your last post #8 that you also have some cast bullets sized .379" and .380"..
Whether they will fit in your fired cases or not depends on the size of the chamber Jesse cut and the thickness of your brass..
If you have a lot of over sized bullets that don't fit your fired cases you can order a Custom LEE type push thru sizer from member Buckshot over at the castboolit forum..

I have often sized a lubed and checked RCBS 250gr/.375" bullet down to .368" to shoot in my 9.3X62..
The best cast group I ever shot (5 shot @ 5/8" @100m) came from using those bullets..
The reason I bring this up because many say that sizing down over a few thou degrades accuracy..
That has not been my experience..

Good luck and if you choose to shoot these bullets you have and have more questions about what I said above feel free to ask..

Just as aside I am speaking to straight walled cased lever action rifles here as they have little or a very short throat..
Bottle necked bolt action rifles I generally size .0005 to .001 >under< throat size..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nrut thanks for the reply and info.after checking I found I have 250 Magnus .379 245gr rnfp bb bullets,115 Bonusbullets 260gr gc,50 Castperformance LBT 260gr gc .380 and 300 BTB .378 LFNGC,I have both winchester and starline brass both at 2.080 length.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
T
What I would do is sell them here on trade and sale "Reload components" than use the money to buy the right stuff. why go through the process of reloading a questionable component?
T:ahhhhh:NY

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.