Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I've seen lotsa old posts from back in 2011 and 2012 concerning these fine old carbines. Mine was bought this morning and is a waffle top .30-30 that has not been D&T'd but has some bluing rubbed off from lotsa use in the past 68 years.The bore is nice and bright but does not appears to be a micro-grove. Idea's on that? It has a tube mounted front sling eye which I think is original to the gun.

The old posts show people buying these carbines with prices from $200-400 or so. That was 6-7 years ago. Has anyone noticed any value increases in these old carbines or have they stayed flat?

I'm trying to get an updated value on a gun like mine.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I paid $550 for a 49 336A 30-30, which has the 24" barrel, 3/4 mag tube in very good light used condition. Not drilled waffle top, never had a hole in the stock for a sling. Ballard rifling which some say is better, I dont know about that. I think thats about top dollar for the gun. Not really sure about the carbine model. But thats up here in northern Mich, not alot to choose from here.

·
Super Moderator
26,124 Posts
Your rifle should have ballard rifling which I have found to be better with cast--but that is in my rifles. Others will tell you that cast will work in some MG barrels too. An unmolested waffle top will go for 500-600 bucks in my area.

Reactions: northmn

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The response from ya'll is much appreciated. I've had a few Marlin .30-30's back in the early '70's and miss the cartridge. I did a lot of hunting with one.
It's good to have one back in the safe. I haven't shot it yet but will once I'm up in Spokane.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I prefer the Ballard rifling. MG seems to be fairly unique to Marlin now, although my Mossberg 464 appears to have similar rifling. It may work but has not taken the world by storm as other manufacturers still use more standard rifling. If you have a fairly pristine waffle top then you have a good value. I picked mine up for about 250 a few years ago, but it was from another individual and at that time I thought it was a good buy for a lever rifle. Found out some like to collect them.

DEP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.