Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I loaded a total of 50 cartridges with 44.0 gr. of H-4198 powder, a 240 gr. Rem? jfp bullet,New R-P cases, COL of 2.505" wrong... see below, Full length sized and trimmed to 2.215" and Factory crimped. I only sent 5 rounds of each down range as I wanted to see any differences between primers. The only difference was the primer, in one half of the loads was Winchester WLR, in the others CCI 200. The Winchester loads chronied in at an average of 2235 fps for a 5 round group, the CCI loads chronied at an average of 2066 fps 5 round group, that makes a difference of 169 fps. The Winchester WLR are hotter than the CCI as evidenced by the target, although I must admit to liking the CCI group better! ;D. WLR group center is 1.2" high and .57" left while the CCI group is 1.79" low and .025" left. Load info came from Hodgdon website on line.

August 7, 2011.jpg
Others shot that day at 50 yards were Identical to the above info with EXCEPTION of Winchester Primers and Hornady 265 gr. jfp
August 7, 2011 43 gr..jpg
August 7, 2011 44 gr..jpg
August 7, 2011 45.5 gr..jpg
1 Shot went a bit high, you can see the bottom of the bullet hole right above the Sq in the word square at the top of the target
August 7, 2011 47.0 gr..jpg
I missed writing down the fps a couple times, but all targets had 5 rounds sent at 'em. And guys...don't hold me to the exact reading I have down, that all changes each time I use the On Target program, but the numbers are close enough to work off of. ;). You'll notice also that the average fps is faster than what the data sheet indicated. I'll have another post upcoming regarding the 45/70 as soon as I can get enough info together to ask for your opinions. 8-7-2011 partly cloudy, 8-10 mph wind from the northwest, temps upper 70's-low 80's, low humidity, all equaled a good day at the range! :) Mr fixit

NOTE OAL length in the original post is incorrect, in another thread the OAL was pointed out, after measuring the rest of my reloads I have to say the proper OAL should be 2.55 rest of my reloads are 2.55-2.66 Hornady states max is 2.57

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Thanks for that info. I have personally stop using CCI primers for a variety of reasons, but one of the reasons as you stated is deviation. I prefer my homemade stuff to have LESS deviation and 169 fps would be too great of span for me.

I freely admit I haven't loaded the 444 yet, so perhaps that is good number. In any event this type of information is very valuable to all of us. Thank You for taking the time and trouble to do this.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
VERY informative...thanks!!!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
High 5 Mr Fixit & +1 on 44gr,
44gr H-4198 w/ Fed 210 LR primers & a Hard Cast (50/50 WW & Lino) 240gr Lee SWC is My Standard Load for my '79 T4.
My Groups w/ This Load Look Quite Similar to Yours w/ 265gr Hornadys & are Sighted Dead On @ 54yds in my Rifle.
UncleSarge58

·
Super Moderator
15,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
revisiting these targets...think I'm going to try a little stronger charge in the 240gr. CCI group (first target) and see what happens, I like the group but not the FPS. Very satisfied with the other groups as well, I should try those out at 100 yds. Mr fixit

·
Registered
172 Posts
revisiting these targets...think I'm going to try a little stronger charge in the 240gr. CCI group (first target) and see what happens, I like the group but not the FPS. Very satisfied with the other groups as well, I should try those out at 100 yds. Mr fixit
You are not too far off the Remington factory velocities with that 240 grain bullet. While Remington claims velocities at 2300 fps, my chrony results a couple months ago which i posted here on the forum were in the 2100 fps neighbourhood. I now buy the factory Remington round only for its brass and pull the bullets. An expensive proposition for sure but regular Remington brass up here is impossible to buy as a reloading component.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts