Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is looking for a good short-range defensive load for their CCW gun in 45 ACP, there's a new kid on the block, and he's a real screamer. Makes the Glaser stuff look kind of anemic. If you like the concept of "energy dump" in 2-legged targets, you'll LOVE this stuff. My son and I are both carrying it as our designated Summer Load in our 3" 45's!

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/bullet-tests/144948-liberty-civil-defense-45-p-ammo.html

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Interesting load. I loaded some 100 gr aluminum 45-70 loads over 40 gr of 2400 (trusting memory for the load data, so beware a 64 year old memory) touted as a personal defense load for in the house. Really cool fireball at night, but I'm one who believes in the virtues of "over penetration". Fun to shoot the novelty stuff, but when it counts I want to be able to blow an evil doer out from behind the couch, wall, door, or whatever he hides behind if possible. I'm a big fan of 230 gr. FMJ for all of my 45 ACP loads. (Generally need far less malfunction drill skill too.)

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Where do these loads shoot in relation to the sights, PJ? I would have to assume there would be quite a difference between POA and POI with these loads when fired in fixed-sight pistols regulated for 230 gr loads.

Roe

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roe, all my testing was done at 5 yards, close enough to get thoroughly soaked when shooting water jugs, so I'm not sure where it would shoot at longer ranges. It'd be a safe bet that it'd be low at anything past 15 yards, but how much is anyone's guess. Recoil is light but sharp, and is mostly gas recoil, near as I can tell. I'm carrying it in my 3" Witness 45, and wouldn't use it for anything but Halitosis Ranges.

Reactions: msharley

·
Premium Member
18,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I bought the initial 40 rounds (2 boxes) back in May, I haven't been able to find any more, all the store has these days is 9mm and .380ACP. If I can find some more I'm buying all they have, or at least 100 rounds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts