Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Hot loads

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  scottoutdoorteam 
#1 ·
New to the 45-70.
I held off from buying one for a long time simply because of the unknown recoil factor. I did not know anyone who owned one either. Thanks goodness for Youtube! When you see kids, women, and small framed adults firing the round, you sort
figure that might be able to handle.

What a fun gun! I own AR's, bolt actions, etc., and I believe I've enjoyed the the Remingtom GBL as much as anything that I've ever shot. The gun looks good! The fit and everything was fine. The only thing I've done to it is replace the
trigger for one from Wild West Guns. Awesome improvement!

Anyway, I've shot Winchester 300 gr HP, Federal Fusion, and the Hornady LR. The recoil on none of these rounds actually bothered me. I've noy gotten to the point of reloading yet but I was wondering about some of the Garrent or Buffalo Bore loads. I know they are hot loads and I understand recoild is subjective. I guess the hottest I've shot at this point has been the Hornaday round. How do some of their cast loads compare to the Hornady 325 load?

Thanks,
Tim

See less See more
#2 ·
Well we've always said it can be loaded from Mild to wild. I've never shot anything that hurt as much as my 338WM. That is including a couple of other bigger magnum rounds.

The 2000fps 400gr. lead loads hurt. I've shot the Ruger only load with the same bullet going 2300fps. In the Ruger, its something you don't want to keep shooting if you value your retinas. Just too light of a gun.

I much prefer a balanced load for North America. FOr me that is a 1480fps 405gr. load. 25gr. of 2400 in Starline brass with Winchester rifle primers is just about perfect for plinking and killing. If my young son takes the gun, we shoot a lot of 1150fps and the 405gr. bullet. That is 13gr. of Unique. Lots of fun, and we usually shoot 2 or 300 in a day.

These two latter cast loads can be described as a push in stead of something more violent. Much easier on the shoulder and enjoyable. Less violence than the Hornady load. WIth the 13gr. load, its WAY less.

#3 ·
Assuming your 45-70 weighs 7.5 pounds I plugged in the numbers for the 325LE ammo (had to estimate powder charge weight & used Hornady's claimed velocity of 2,025fps) and came up with about 32 lb ft of recoil With a 400g bullet at 2000 fps you have 42 lb ft of recoil. Most of the folks I know stop having fun with a rifle or shotgun once the recoil is over 40 lb ft. Only way to know your recoil limit is to surpass it. handloads.com has a recoil calculator you can use for free if you want to run some estimates.

BB

Reactions: cobirdhunter
#11 ·
Note that most people don't/won't shoot 400 grain bullets at 2000 FPS - I have one load with the 400 grain Barnes Original that does 1996 FPS and is very accurate. I just really don't want to shoot it - can't seem to think of any situation where I might need it. Although .... it smacks the stuffing out of black bears! Makes them extra dead!

That's what makes this round so much fun - you load it for almost any level of fun and punishment - it's all up to you.

ENJOY!!!

#7 · (Edited)
(A) stop shooting them girly bullets and worrying about recoil

(B) If your shooting over 1650fps you not using the 45/70s advantage.

(C) Get a 10003 limbsaver and shoot anything you want

I shoot 430gr Ranch Dog flat nose at 1600fps, and they do nasty damage at both ends.

It wasnt until I mounted the limbsaver did I see the light

#8 ·
45-70 loads can vary greatly; you need to experiment. I like a 405gn RNFP over 26gn of 5744.

If you really want recoil you need to go to 45-90 or 45-110 or the king of all of them, the 45-120 over 120 gn of BP! NOW that's recoil!!

Look at this guy...no eye protection!

DD

#9 · (Edited)
.I have found that mild loads not only save powder, abuse of the action and your shoulder but..... they tend to kill paper targets with the same veracity as a hot load. Now with that said.....I have moved away from the HOT loads however, I do have a bunch loaded. I keep them on-hand and use them and use the mild ones more.

I consider hot loads just like my motorcycle or my car......yes they are capable of going over 100+ w/problem but I don't do it all the time :)

#12 ·

All that is needed in the 45-70 to take anything on earth is a 405 grain cast bullet at around 1400 to 1500 feet per second velocity. Anything more is just for fun and self abuse. Higher velocities mean less penetration, more expense (more costly bullets, more powder, more wear on the gun), and more pain.........and of course the bragging rights. Is it worth it?

#15 ·
Welcome aboard Cherokeectp. Great rifle you got there. Some pics would be nice for sure. As too your question, I have shot the the slower fodder ie.. winchester, federal fusion, and the remington green box 300gr and the 405gr. All of them shot pretty much the same in accuracy. Just a little POI change with the bullet weight difference. I bought 5 boxes of Buffalo Bore 350gr JFN(350gr speer hot cores) that run at 2100fps from the LGS a guy ordered and did not take so I paid alot less for them, those were by far the most accurate I've shot, and I know mimic that round in my hand loads with the very same speer hot cores 350gr over H4198 and CCIprimers with star line brass.As far as recoil, let's face it most people don't like it, and load according to there preference, but like you I don't find the hotter loads like the Buffalo Bore load that offensive. When I zeroed the gs for the hot 350gr loads I shot 25 rds 10@50yds and 15@100yds. No problems with recoil at all. I suspect if the fella's from the days of Black powder trap door loads and tang sights would have had the components and guns we have today they would have used them for sure. Enjoy your GBL.
JB

#17 ·
I load top end with 300 jackets in the 45-70. I shoot a couple of boxes of such each year. Same for the 450 Marlin. However, these are my hunting guns and I like a flatter trajectory.
For a paper-punching session, I take the Trapdoor and shoot BP level cast loads.
Nothing wrong with two loads- a lighter cast for target and a heavy cast or jacketed load for hunting. Some like a single load. It is up to you.

#19 ·
Welcome to the forum from the Swamps of Va. So the 45-70 bug has bitten again..............:vollkommenauf: I guess you need to experience a real slobber knocker so go get some of those BB 500 grFMJ bullets and give themn a ride.........:ridinghorse: I bought a couple of boxes a year ago and still have right many to shoot, as 2-3 at a time is all i want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.