Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
maybe some of you law enforcement folks could answer me a few questions. last night some "bounty hunters" showed up on my porch looking for someone who lived here years ago and had missed a court date .well when they beat on my door at 10:00 pm,it got my dogs riled up(a yellow lab and blue heeler,not rotts or pits mind you)and when i opened my door the two on my porch had their guns(a pistol and one a shotgun) drawn and aimed at my door.i shut my door back and asked thru the door what was the deal.they said they were fugitive recovery and that i had to let them in my house .i would not let them in ,mainly cuz whoever they were looking for was not here.also b/c of their attitude with their guns drawn.i resorted to calling the county sherriff out to get them off of my property,who dutifully did so.now my question is;the ""fugitive recovery"" people were on my property (two of them out back)with weapons at the ready,acting on wrong information,took off without leaving a card,phone number or anything.what kind of rights do bounty hunters have,as far as gun carrying,and were is the line drawn that i take further action .they even went as far as to point his shotgun at my labs head and ordered me to call him off?they never told me what agency they were with,and even threatened to "take me downtown" in handcuffs if i did not let them in my house. i am sure that there are plenty of professional acting bounty hunters out there that can get the job done without acting like this.oh,by the way,turns out the guy they were lookin for is in jail in another state.nice research,huh
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
454 Posts
Sounds like a good way for em to get some lead in their butt. Idiots.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1895 if "by armed " you mean did i have a gun close by,yes i always have my self-defense gun close by and loaded,but drawn and at the ready,no. once they realized i wasnt gunna fight back they cooled off a bit,but it still took a sheriff to get them off the road in front of my house.after i told them i called the law,they got off my property.apparently they really were bounty hunters,but a little out of line
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,701 Posts
Good for you, I wouldn't have had one pulled either but it would have been on me.

Edit/added: Dangerous ground, wouldn't want them seeing it on me but if they weren't badged it gets very hard to say what I would have done. That was a difficult situation you found yourself in. You did good.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,665 Posts
They should have been there with the local sheriff and when you called the dispatch they would have told you that. I would look in to it further to make sure everything is being done correctly because chances are if they were there they should of had a search warrant and this would have been with a sheriff employee who should have been along.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
janott said:
They should have been there with the local sheriff and when you called the dispatch they would have told you that. I would look in to it further to make sure everything is being done correctly because chances are if they were there they should of had a search warrant and this would have been with a sheriff employee who should have been along.
I'm with him on that one... no one can demand they be allowed into your home like that unless they have a warrant.

1895Gunner said:
Just curious, were you armed when you answered the door at 10:00 at night?
I don't answer my door at 2200, etc; it sure ain't going to be the Girl Scouts trying to sell cookies! ...and you know I would be armed with a backup in the next room.

lipripper said:
apparently they really were bounty hunters,but a little out of line...
Just a little? I think they've been watching too much Dog, the Bounty Hunter....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,092 Posts
I think if it was me, there would have been a complaint filed, they were TOTALLY wrong to threaten you with arrest, that's just a bad bullying tactic, and I'd have told them to get the f#$* off my property or risk arrest and/or gunfire. No badges displayed? Then I don't know who they are, and they are trespassing. If you shoot my dog while trying to make an arrest on a guy who's in jail in another state., your butt is going DOWN! :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,496 Posts
I can't believe shite like that can happen. My Misses just read the thread and she can't comprehend that sort of thing could happen to anyone in a civilised society. UNBELIEVABLE.

Anyhow I reckon you did the right thing thing. If that happened here, I'm not sure how it would've gone. Cops an hour away, 10 at night, fully loaded 1894S, dog who would defend us no matter what, would've been ugly.

But seriously, there is more chance of me being kicked to death by a duck than that happening here.

Glad it ended OK for you and your family Mate.

Mark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,496 Posts
M700 said:
Vicious ducks down there Mark? ;D
Better believe it Guy. One came by the neighbors fowl house recently and raped six of his hens. :eek: True story :p

Cheers,
Mark. ;D ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Having worked in and arround law enforcement for 20 years I find most Bounty Hunters are real A$$'$. but here is what I found:

as third parties are concerned, an intruding bounty hunter is simply “breaking and entering” into their house. But what can third parties do? The listener mentioned using “deadly force” -- so let’s take a minute to address that question.

There is a common law rule that allows a person to avoid conviction for homicide, if he or she killed another person in defense of their home. Lawyers sometimes call this the “Castle Defense,” based on that old saw, “a man’s home is his castle.” That rule still exists in the U.S., but in general, the use of deadly force is only justifiable when a person forces entry into a house under circumstances that suggest that that person is about to kill or inflict serious injury on one of the inhabitants of the house, or if the person is at least about to commit this rule, it’s unlikely that any court would ever find that it was justifiable to use deadly force against a bounty hunter who is doing his or her job. After all, even if a bounty hunter mistakenly breaks into the house of third party, their intention is simply to apprehend the fugitive, not to commit a felony or harm the other inhabitants of the house. So, if a bounty hunter breaks into your house, you may ask him to leave; if he refuses, you may call the police. You may even use deadly sarcasm against the bounty hunter. But you should not use deadly force.
However most bounty hunters I know I would be In fear for my life if they were at my door.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
454 Posts
Earl W said:
Having worked in and arround law enforcement for 20 years I find most Bounty Hunters are real A$$'$. but here is what I found:

as third parties are concerned, an intruding bounty hunter is simply “breaking and entering” into their house. But what can third parties do? The listener mentioned using “deadly force” -- so let’s take a minute to address that question.

There is a common law rule that allows a person to avoid conviction for homicide, if he or she killed another person in defense of their home. Lawyers sometimes call this the “Castle Defense,” based on that old saw, “a man’s home is his castle.” That rule still exists in the U.S., but in general, the use of deadly force is only justifiable when a person forces entry into a house under circumstances that suggest that that person is about to kill or inflict serious injury on one of the inhabitants of the house, or if the person is at least about to commit this rule, it’s unlikely that any court would ever find that it was justifiable to use deadly force against a bounty hunter who is doing his or her job. After all, even if a bounty hunter mistakenly breaks into the house of third party, their intention is simply to apprehend the fugitive, not to commit a felony or harm the other inhabitants of the house. So, if a bounty hunter breaks into your house, you may ask him to leave; if he refuses, you may call the police. You may even use deadly sarcasm against the bounty hunter. But you should not use deadly force.
However most bounty hunters I know I would be In fear for my life if they were at my door.
Whoa he said they were aiming two firearms at the front door he was behind. what if they shoot
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
However most bounty hunters I know I would be In fear for my life if they were at my door.
yeah,these guys were some goons,fer sure.ready to put cuffs on someone,or shoot something.i am glad i used restraint and realized what they were,hot headed jerks.Yeah now i wish i wouldve shot themShot them with my cell phones video camera ;D.then i would have some pretty good evidence to get these goons off the street for good,or at least get there "huntng licence"revoked!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,092 Posts
Earl W said:
You may even use deadly sarcasm against the bounty hunter. But you should not use deadly force.
I feel that Deadly Sarcasm is a wholly under-used and unappreciated tool, but I'm trying to bring it to the forefront! 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Whoa he said they were aiming two firearms at the front door he was behind. what if they shoot

I was just posting what the law says. I would be like everyone else and jo my best to take them out.
Fom what I understand the laws as to bounty hunters have not been revised since they were Inacted whenever (WHO) know many years ago. I would do whatever I could to keep them out and hope for a kindly judge & jury. The bounty hunters I have seen think that they are above the law.
again this was not my way of thinking this was just what I found. They should notify local leo's that they are going to do a pick up but by law they are not required to. They are able to work nation wide cross state lines and transport the person back across the state line. They are not operating under the same rules as local and state officers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
454 Posts
Gotcha ;) I dont know what I would do but whatever happened Id hope there were some people on the jury that think like us.
 

·
Contributing Member
Joined
·
11,599 Posts
In every area I have been in they have no more rights than any other citizen. Of course, when I was in LE, they were mostly retired cops with .38's then reality TV came along and I guess now they think their a private SWAT team or something.

It would not be a good thing at all should armed men appear on my porch at any time let alone after dark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
Kudos to you for handling yourself so well and you do the right thing when you called the Sheriff. Like Eli Chaps, my shotgun would have been out and the safety would have been off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
312 Posts
Earl W said:
Having worked in and arround law enforcement for 20 years I find most Bounty Hunters are real A$$'$. but here is what I found:

as third parties are concerned, an intruding bounty hunter is simply “breaking and entering” into their house. But what can third parties do? The listener mentioned using “deadly force” -- so let’s take a minute to address that question.

There is a common law rule that allows a person to avoid conviction for homicide, if he or she killed another person in defense of their home. Lawyers sometimes call this the “Castle Defense,” based on that old saw, “a man’s home is his castle.” That rule still exists in the U.S., but in general, the use of deadly force is only justifiable when a person forces entry into a house under circumstances that suggest that that person is about to kill or inflict serious injury on one of the inhabitants of the house, or if the person is at least about to commit this rule, it’s unlikely that any court would ever find that it was justifiable to use deadly force against a bounty hunter who is doing his or her job. After all, even if a bounty hunter mistakenly breaks into the house of third party, their intention is simply to apprehend the fugitive, not to commit a felony or harm the other inhabitants of the house. So, if a bounty hunter breaks into your house, you may ask him to leave; if he refuses, you may call the police. You may even use deadly sarcasm against the bounty hunter. But you should not use deadly force.
However most bounty hunters I know I would be In fear for my life if they were at my door.
There have been Home invasions by armed intruders in this part of the country. It would be best if they had a marked Patrol car and officers in uniform with them that time of night. If not and they tried to break in they would be treated like any other armed intruder. That could have turned ugly real fast I'm glad it all worked out the way it did.
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top