Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting Ranch Dogs Match the other day, I noticed that waiting between shots tightened up the groups with my 336 in 30wcf. Now........is that the barrel heating up? The barrel heating up with the barrel band too loose or tight? Or was the gun fine and I was the one who benefited from a rest between shots :lol: (I generally don't stress while shooting)

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
I'm not sure which is either, but I have found that waiting between shots has helped with the groups.

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Tubby,

Glad you are in Ranch Dog's Postal Match this year. I believe you are getting to really know your rifles because of it. Most everyone will tell you that tight barrel bands will definitely affect the accuracy of the Marlins. Once I loosened the barrel band on my 30-30 the groups tightened by over 3". Yep 3". As the barrel heats up the barrel band puts stress on the barrel by not letting it move with naturally. Sooo the barrel can actually tweak a little and then cool down and return to its natural position. I shoot my first 3 shots very fast and then wait and wait and wait for the barrel to cool back down before the other two shots. After a while you can almost call where the bullet will go.

My 444S has lots of work on it and it shoots great!! My 444SS is one I am working on right now and I have the barrel band screw loose. My .35 Rem is also a work is progress and you can tell by the targets I have submitted.

Have fun Tubby,

Dave 8)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When doing my part, but shooting quickly, the shots strung vertically........almost 2" inches either way sometimes. Windage seems to be on me.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had a really nice (looking) Pre 64 Winchester 94. If you didn't shoot strings quickly and let it cool completely, it would drop the shots 7" at 100 yards!

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
I use a slightly different technique, but it works for me. I shoot the first two shots quickly and then space the remaining shots in 2 minute intervals. This keeps the barrel ever so slightly warm depending on outside temperature.

I shoot in SoCal in a desert/chaparral area and I've noticed that my groups will go wild if the barrel is left exposed to the sun. Sometimes it's necessary to get the rifle off and away from the bench to cool it off enough to continue. It's amazing how much a barrel can heat up just lying in the sunlight.

If anybody has an idea how much those barrel band screws should be tightened, I'd like to know.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I think the barrels do heat and count against you as long as things are not consistant. On the same note, if the barrel is already hot, all 5 shots from a rifle should be within norm. for each other. I don't wait any appreciable time. If I can comfortably touch the barrel, its good enough. shooting in the Winter and Spring definitely helps as well. This 105 degree stuff we're in right now makes it harder than heck to get a 1 in. group. Last year for the match I shot lower pressure loads in each case. THis year, I am useing my hunting loads purposfully just to help my technique, and find it much harder to keep them in the small tight groups I did last year. The most problematic group is of course the barrel band guns, (30-30). I won't even try the 357 this year. :cry:

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
This topic has started me wondering if there is a recommended ft-lbs of torque for barrel band screws. I realize each rifle is unique, and a lot might depend upon the fit of the bands themselves, but does anyone know how tight those screws should be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts