Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking through one of my X-mas presents-- Guns&Ammo Jan '05 and in the "New for '05 Ammo" section it said that Hornady is coming out with new 30-30 loads thats close to the .300 Savage velocities. Does anyone know when the shells will be available or if its really true? If it is true, what real advantage would the 307 have over this new 30-30 round? :D :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
I just called Hornady and spoke w/them about the new 30/30 higher velocity they are working on. They are trying to get finished w/testing to have it about in 2005. I ask if there was a projected velocity and was told no. So? There 150gr load is shown to be 2390fps, so if they do increase it, it's going to be given serious considering in my book. I didn't even catch the guys name but he labeled the cartridge as a "higher velocity 30/30". Winchesters 150gr Supreme Power Point Plus is listed at 2480fps, which is crowding the heels of the 300 Savage and the 307 Winchester. Their 150gr Power Point for the 300 Savage is listed at 2630fps. Most manuals I've seen list the 307 and the 300 at about the same velocities. I know this is a Marlin based site but I like the Winchester as well. With Winchester offering the Legacy w/a 24 inch barrels velocity will be a litte higher with the new Hornady round.

John

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
FWIW, the 2480 fps figure for the Power Point ammo is from a 24 inch barrel. Figure around 100 fps less for the typical carbine. Some reports I've seen show around 2350 fps from the 20" barrelled gun, which is about 150 fps faster than most 150's chronograph out of 20 inch barrels, factory loaded.

Actual velocities will still be shy of the 307 and 300 Savage, even with the boosted velocity levels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Blackhawk! I didn't even think to call Hornady--I must be having senior citizen moment. But with a new round being developed for the 30-30 it will be very, very interesting to see how the velocities turn out. My 336 has a 24" barrell so I should get all of the benfits that 35remington pointed out.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The Hodgdon #27 manual has list their Winchester powder data from 24 inch barrels too. While I think all other powders are listed for a 20 inch. Also Metallic Cartridge Reloading by Mic McPherson I believe list all powders from a 20 inch barrel for the 307win.

JDW

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hornady is working on a "lite-magnum" type load for the 150gr .30/30.

It will compete directly with the Winchester "Supreme" Power-Plus load.

I use a handload that is VERY close to this load, 35.0gr of RL-15 under a Remington 150gr Cor-lokt for 2,390fps chrono'd from my 20" bbl. My brother uses a similar load with 34.0gr of H4895 and the Hornady 150gr Interlokt. Performance of both bullets is VERY similar, with the Remingtons costing a bit less.

This load verges on explosive at ranges under 75yds. I killed two deer back to back on the 4th day of the season this year (Oct. 19). First was a doe at 27yds with a frontal shoulder shot. The bullet blew out bone fragments adjacent to the entrance wound creating a 1" x 3" gash. The bullet penetrated into the paunch and was not recoverd though it didn't exit. Second deer was a 10pt buck that weighed 180lbs. He was examining the dead doe, which he had been trailing. I took him broadside a little low, breaking both front leg bones and nicking the bottom of the heart. He made it 90yds down-hill and collapsed and expired as I walked up on him. Exit wound on far side shoulder was 3" x4". Or, as one individual asked; did you shoot it with a 7-mag????

The performance of the 150gr ".30/30" bullets pushed to the full potential is dramatic within the .30/30's normally utilized range (150yds or less).

I am very satisfied with the performance of this combination. Next year I intend to explore the performance of the 170gr Cor-lokt with 33.0-34.0gr of RL-15, and see if initial expansion/shock is up to that of the 150gr, and if penetration is significantly better.

I'll be back later let everyone know what comes about.

If you don't reload for your .30/30, you really should!

For the cost of 5 boxes of the Winchester Supremes or the yet to be Hornadys, you can buy 100 Cor-lokts or Power-points, a inexpensive press (Lee Reloader Jr.), dies, a Lee powder scale, a basic case trimmer (needed for the .30/30), Primers, and a pound of Reloader 15, or Win. 748, H4895, or good ole IMR-3031, ect. Just use the cases you have kept or can scrounge up.

Then, your next 5 boxes of "Power-Plus" equivalents would cost you about the same as 2 boxes. You can take the other 60rds and shoot from field positions and at longer ranges and see what the old "dirty gerty" can really do.

It will amaze you how flat it really shoots if sighted in 2.5" high at 100yds.

Go out and shoot at some 1gal anti-freeze or oil jugs filled with water at 200yds.
(Hint..... you just hold center and pull the trigger, just like you would on a deer. Bullet will hit about 4" under point of aim!) Or, probably as close to where you're aiming as you can hold from a field position. The bullet will do the job if you do yours in placing it correctly!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hot 30-30

Just the time that the ammo companies start producing boosted 30-30 rounds, Reminton comes out with "Managed Recoil" rounds, with a among others a 30-06 and .308 rounds with 125 grain bullets loaded to 2200 fps according to the gun magazines. They are saying that it'll be a great round for deer out to 250 yds., maybe more.

Where have we seen a 125 gr. bullet loaded to 2200 fps? :roll:

Now we can say our 30-30's ae more powerful than a factory loaded 30-06.

Chuck

·
Registered
50 Posts
And another one

Sorry I missed this one - this from Outdoor Life

"Federal Cartridge Company (ATK) has announced “Power-Shok” reduced-recoil loads in .308 Win and .30/06. Both calibers are being loaded to a muzzle velocity of 2,000 fps with a 170-grain, flat-tipped Speer bullet that expands well at reduced velocity levels. The folks at Federal say the new Power-Shok loads function in autoloaders and are effective on medium-size game out to 200 yards."

Even better - a 170 gr., float point bullet @ 2000 fps?

Chuck

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just guessing that the 170 flat tip in the reduced loads would be the flat point we buy for our 30-30's.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Sorry I missed this one - this from Outdoor Life

"Federal Cartridge Company (ATK) has announced “Power-Shok” reduced-recoil loads in .308 Win and .30/06. Both calibers are being loaded to a muzzle velocity of 2,000 fps with a 170-grain, flat-tipped Speer bullet that expands well at reduced velocity levels. The folks at Federal say the new Power-Shok loads function in autoloaders and are effective on medium-size game out to 200 yards."

Even better - a 170 gr., float point bullet @ 2000 fps?

It'll never work. The reduced loads are for children and women. Only real men shoot the super magnums. Besides a 30cal 170gr bullet around 2000? It'll never catch on in a hundred years! :wink:

G

·
Blackhawk said:
The Hodgdon #27 manual has list their Winchester powder data from 24 inch barrels too. While I think all other powders are listed for a 20 inch. Also Metallic Cartridge Reloading by Mic McPherson I believe list all powders from a 20 inch barrel for the 307win.

JDW
Dosen't 4 inches only add about 40 fps on a 30-30?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Zach,

I would think that 10fps/inch would be a little slow. I don't think there is an exact figure for fps/inch but I think the numbers are closer to 75-100fps/inch, all things being equal. Someone that has tested the theory can probably help us a little more as I've not put any loads over a chrony to test it.

JDW

1 - 12 of 12 Posts