Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 336 in 35 Remington with me this morning on a trip to the hunting lease. After my Buddy and I finished our work on the place, he pulled out a couple rifles (a 505 Gibbs and a 500 NE double rifle) and set up his chronograph. He was checking some of his handloads. While he had the chronograph set up, I decided to fire a 35 Remington coreloct and a Hornady Leverevolution through it to compare velocities. Of course, I just wanted to see how much faster the Hornady round whistled out of the barrel. The chronograph was set at 15 feet ahead of muzzle. To my surprise, the Remington clocked at 2150 fps and the Hornady registered at 2017! Thought that may be of interest.

FWIW, I also fired my Ruger SP101 in 357 magnum with a 2.25 inch barrel through it. These were Winchester 125 gr. semi jacketed hollow points. Not the expensive self defense rounds. It clocked at 1140 fps.

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
1 shot isn't going to tell you anything. You should have shot at least 5 shots with each load. I wouldn't base any assumptions on a single shot.

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course you're right. I wasn't conducting a study - just screwing around. But, I doubt the Hornady's are going to vary in velocity by over 100 fps. from one round to the next.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Tex... that's interesting nonetheless. Especially for somebody whose never owned a cronograph. I'm seeing the need for one every time I read a post like this. Two reasons for me...

First I am gonna start reloading that Hornady bullet in Hornady once-fired, so it's performance is always of interest. I guess in comparison, you expected opposite results. Would be interested if you did as suggested and found the results consistant with more rounds.

Second, My latest desire for a cronograph centers around the Speer 135gr Gold Dot round in 38 Special. I want to replicate to the extent possible so my wife's hand won't take the beating in her SP101 (2" barrel). I see no need for the 357 round for self defense and wanted to see if a 38 Special round with a lighter load might do the trick for both her practice and her reason for having it. That's the promo on their rounds so if it is accurate, I should be able to replicate.

Thanks for the post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts