Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used this factory ammo? How's your accuracy? Any experience with it on big game?

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Haven't come across any yet. Where did you buy it? I've just started loading the 265gr interlock. Up to this point I had been loading Remington 240gr JSP.

1895gunner

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sportsmansguide.com. pretty sweet deal. 20 bucks off $125 order.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have a box. When I sight in later this fall for a deer hunt is when I shall find out how they do. I have a good feeling though. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Shoots great in my 24"bbl original model and dads 444P.1.25" groups at 100. Never chronographed it or shot game but imho great ammo alst the cycle ammo too did similar. Nothing beats my load. AA2200 with a big supply of 303gr REM corelokt HP. Made for muzzleloader sabots. Deer drop like a sack o potatos, little meat damage and both guns hover around an inch group @100.2267fps 24" bbl.2012 fps in the 444P

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Looking forward to the range report 1895Gunner. I have 3 weeks till I have the time to sight in my 444 with this new load and my wife's Savage .308 that she just bought. Going to be a fun Sunday for sure!

·
Banned
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just got back from the range and this stuff is awesome. < 1" grouping at 100yards out of my 444P. And that is with a marginal scope (BSA Tactical 4X30 Compact). Only had to fire 2--3shot groups(6 shots) and I was sighted in (from my previous sight in of factory remington 240gr.). I am very pleased. Lookout Bull elk, I got a rifle tag for 1st season bull (Colorado).

BTW if anybody is looking for a great compact scope, I highly recommend the BSA Tactical 4X30 Compact. Great optics, and the look great on the 444P. Do a search. They can be had for less than $80

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Well I just got back from the range and this stuff is awesome. < 1" grouping at 100yards out of my 444P
:eek:

Making me real anxious to get out to the range and shoot some from my T4 ;)

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
OK fired a box today, 1.50 group at 100 yards. A 1 inch with a flyer, I like :D have ordered more for testing I am very happy with this round at this time. Will have to flip a coin this fall over this bullet or my beartooth 290 gr loads.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
This thread had my curiosity going on the SuperPerformance 265 gr. factory ammo and I thought I would grab some while in Casper, WY for a meeting last Friday.

Sure enough Sportsmans Warehouse had two boxes on the shelf. I even had both boxes in my hand at one point. But they were back on the shelf before I left the store. (Actually, I left the store without spending a penny! :eek:)

I suppose I am getting older. Or am I getting wiser? With four boxes of 240 XTP/HP bullets and three boxes of 265 FN Interlock bullets sitting on my loading bench at home I just couldn't rationalize buying factory ammo. It wasn't the $75+ that two boxes would cost as much as the fact that my reloads work just fine.

So have fun with the new ammo, boys. And keep the reports coming in. I still enjoy hearing about how things are working out for the rest of you folks.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sure enough Sportsmans Warehouse had two boxes on the shelf
That must be a standard amount to have on the shelf.. My local Sportsmans keeps 2 boxes on the shelf as well. When I bought my one box there where two there, and the next time that I came in there were two boxes there again. Just thought that was kinda funny. :D

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
I'd like to chronograph them against my handloads using the 265 gr FN. I'm getting 2270 fps out of my handloads in a 22" barrel. Hornady claims 2400 fps out of a 24" barrel. If we are conservative and figure 25 fps/inch, then that would be 2350 fps out of a 22" barrel. So 80 fps faster than my handload, but I'm always skeptical about Hornady's claims. I have shot 35 Remington LE, 30-30 LE, 444 LE, 338 LE, and have never chronographed velocities that they claim.

While the 265 gr Superformance is probably great ammo, my handloads are extremely accurate, and I have killed 2 deer in the 2 years I owned the gun, so I see no reason to change at this point.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I'll get 2-3 boxes just to support Hornady for supporting the 444. It's the least I can do, I still have 3 1/2 boxes of the light mag 444 ammo as well as my own loads. DP

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
You know, I totally get why most would reload. Heck I plan to do so as well. It saves a little cash and allows a person to play mad scientist so they can formulate the ultimate load for their firearm. But that being said I don't mind buying factory once and a while since it shows some demand. I would like to see more firearms in 444 so I think this works conversely with demand for ammo. A popular cartridge is ultimately spread around in many different firearms. I think its a good thing because sometimes when demand goes away then so does everything else to even reload for it. I don't want that to happen to my beloved 444. 8)

·
Registered
147 Posts
dpe.ahoy said:
I'll get 2-3 boxes just to support Hornady for supporting the 444. It's the least I can do, I still have 3 1/2 boxes of the light mag 444 ammo as well as my own loads. DP
+1. I have almost 3 boxes of the older 265 gr FP for reloading and almost a full box of light mags, and some other miscellaneous rounds, but I'm going to get a couple boxes of these just out of gratitude. Thanks Hornady!

·
Super Moderator
15,872 Posts
Halwg said:
I'd like to chronograph them against my handloads using the 265 gr FN. I'm getting 2270 fps out of my handloads in a 22" barrel. Hornady claims 2400 fps out of a 24" barrel. If we are conservative and figure 25 fps/inch, then that would be 2350 fps out of a 22" barrel. So 80 fps faster than my handload, but I'm always skeptical about Hornady's claims. I have shot 35 Remington LE, 30-30 LE, 444 LE, 338 LE, and have never chronographed velocities that they claim.

While the 265 gr Superformance is probably great ammo, my handloads are extremely accurate, and I have killed 2 deer in the 2 years I owned the gun, so I see no reason to change at this point.
Hal, What is your handload recipe for the Hornady® 265gr FN? Are you using Remington® or Hornady® brass?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I plan on trying some but no rush as I'll have to wait till next year to hunt.
I just moved to Denver and I understand I have to be here 6 months to get a resident hunting permit :'(

Guess I'll just have to spend the winter casting up a bunch of Ranch Dog boolits for next years hunt.

Ken

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
KEN TN said:
I plan on trying some but no rush as I'll have to wait till next year to hunt.
I just moved to Denver and I understand I have to be here 6 months to get a resident hunting permit :'(

Guess I'll just have to spend the winter casting up a bunch of Ranch Dog boolits for next years hunt.

Ken
There is always the postal match Ken! By the time I find time time to shoot a target for it it will probably be over, if it isn't already ???

1 - 20 of 29 Posts