Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We tried some today.. little wind in the face but not that bad.. The Hornady did horrible at 300yds. with 200 yds site in... hitting was about 12 to 14 below point of aim... Has anyone else tried it at this range..

100yds and 200yds were super accurate, but sure seems to run out of steam fast after 200..

Factory Winny 170 power points and the Leverevloution shoot great till that point..

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you look at the hornady ads, showing the trajectory tables, the .30-30 leverevolution, sighted in 3" high at 100 yds. drops 12.1" at 300 yds. Sounds like you are right on the money.

Mad Dog

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
It is the heavy air there in Pencilvania I think.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was ok ballistic wise but group sucked the big one.. I think the bullet became unstable after 250.. just my opinion.. the group was about 6 in.. for three shots.. ( at 200 was awesome)... I was hoping for better than ,, and just wanted to know if someone else tried at 300 yet... (not that it really matters as I wouldn't see a deer or have a shot over 200 anyway where I hunt.).. but I am curious.. :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VTDW said:
It is the heavy air there in Pencilvania I think.

Dave 8)
It was damp and humid some today for sure..

·
Registered
787 Posts
Gunjunkie, in no way am I slamming your shooting, but to me a 6" 300 yd. group, ain't all that bad. More shooting on a still day, with a perfect rest, breathing right etc. you will probably shrink the group-a little. Remember, you are shooting a gun with a 2 piece stock, probably a slower lock time, etc. than a fancy bolt action, with a big assed scope on it. In the general scheme of things, that group would kill a deer all day long, holding at the top of the back, behind the shoulder. JMHO.

Mad Dog

·
Registered
110 Posts
Gunjunkie said:
the group was about 6 in.. for three shots..
That's 2 MOA at 300 yards. You can't expect much more than that with a 30-30. I'd say that's pretty normal. Try it with the flat nosed stuff and see what you get. :D :D

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But they just about touch at 200 yds.. I will do it again.. I know the reg ammo drops over double that.. I was just hoping for better and wondering if anyone else did it yet and how they did ..

Wasn't my xlr. but buddys xlr with 3x9 leupold.. It was fun.. and your right need to shoot more at that range maybe..

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Caffiene Free Diet Coke GJ :wink:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did have 32 oz coffee for breakfast .. HUMMMMMMM.. LOL

·
Registered
422 Posts
"But they just about touch at 200 yds.. I will do it again.. I know the reg ammo drops over double that.. I was just hoping for better "

I wouldn't get too upset. By your own admission, performance is twice as good as normal 170 round noses or flat points. I'd say it sounds like Hornady did what they said they'd do. A 6" group is still about as big as the vitals on a deer. Not that I'd take that shot, but it is still adequate. A flat shooting 270 or 30-06, for example, drops about 6-8 inches at 300 from a 200 zero on average. 12" drop with the 30-30 sounds pretty darn good to me.

Don't know how many rounds you have through the rifle, but most factory rifles, in my experience, start shooting their best after 100 rounds or so, sometimes more. Shoot it some more and come back on a still day, it will probably do better.

G

·
GJ...."I did have 32 oz coffee for breakfast .. HUMMMMMMM.. LOL"

Geesh...yer lucky ya didn't shake loose the scope with that much caffeine!!
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to drive truck cross country.. I can drink a pot of coffee and go right to bed.... just makes me pee.. don't keep me awake anymore.. :lol:

Like I said was buddys rifle.. I was playing with my carbine open sites at 100 and 200 some.. but we were sighting in his xlr today.. I will take the word of all the experts that say its good enough... I know anything out to 200 is sure dead .. pidgons even.. the rifles are great as expected from Marlin,.. I guess I may want too much from the ammo.. but he will practice more with it I am sure.. He's more the long distance shooter.. I am 100yds and not much more hunter...

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
GJ,
6 inch group at 300 will kill a deer. The 12 inch drop is right where it should be, and a little more practice at that range and I bet by deer season you could dump one at 300 yards :D That 6 inch group would = a two inch group at 100 yards and that is plenty good enough to kill deer. Keep at it and I bet you will have better results.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Gunjunkie -

A 6" group at 300 and down 12-14"? Sounds like they did pretty well to me.

Remember the effects of the wind are not linear. For example, take a 170g Speer (B.C. .304) at 2333fps (my load).

Zeroed for MAximum Point Blank Range for a 6" target, its 3.0" high at 100, -.6" at 200 and -14.7" at 300. About the same as the the Hornady load.

Here's what a 10mph crosswind does:

100 yds = 1.4" deflection
200 yds = 5.7" deflection
300 yds = 13.9" deflection

By the way, at 300 yards it still going 1620fps and carries 990fpe. Would dump a deer in a hurry.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't do a 300 yd shot.. just wouldn't feel comfortable with it .. 200 yes...in a heartbeat with the xlr.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
You practice enough at 300 and get used to it and then you will feel comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Heard a story about an office worker who switched to decalf without telling anyone and everybody why the were getting headaches and not feeling well. Wonder what would happen to you GJ beware the decalf.
"I used to drive truck cross country.. I can drink a pot of coffee and go right to bed.... just makes me pee.. don't keep me awake anymore.. "

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
We have shot ( my buddy and me) at 300 yards, and consistantly shoot/and hit a 12 in. steel gong. Don't know our groups, but I sure can't hit it that often with my 170gr. Core lokts. Try doing it 3 or 4 weeks in a row. You might be shocked at the improvement you get. 300 yard shooting is greatly underestimated by many. Incidentally, I use a 20 in. gun, and it does fine. My buddy has the 24 in. Winchester 55 which really loves those things.1

1 - 20 of 20 Posts