Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall I had switched the stocks on my 336XLR and my 308 MX. had issues with the 308 stringing shots due to the forearm putting a lot of pressure on the barrel thru the hanger. Rather than remove wood from the forearm and making it loose for the XLR, I put the walnut back on the 308 and the lams on the 30-30 XLR. Of course that means I have to resight in, so this weekend I took both with me to the cabin and played 2 days. Different lots of 308 showed different sized groups, no suprise. Then the 30-30 XLR gave good groups at 100 yd with the LE ammo, about 1". Went to the 200 yd, 203 with a rangefinder, and sighted in at that range. Groups were about 2 1/2" with the LE ammo. Grabbed a box of Federal Blue box 150gr and shot the same target. Impact was about 7 inches lower than the LE's, but the group was right at 1 1/2 inch. Noticeable difference in recoil as well with the LE's moving the rifle much more on the bags. The XLR wears a Nikon Prostaff, 2-7X32 scope. DP

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Sounds like you tested everything real good. I hope you kept notes on all that. I had to do mine all over one time when I didn't write it down. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for your effort, interesting result. I get superb accuracy from my 336SS at 100 yard, but have not tried at 200.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts