Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
Pop said:
Anyone load these? What are your loads? How do they do on game?
I'm guessing you are referring to reloads and not Hornady® LEVERevolution® ammunition. Is that right?

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
1895Gunner said:
I don't reload the short brass very often but when I do I use the load data on their website located here. When I do I use H4198 and their gummy tip 265gr bullet.
Just my $0.02, but 2200fps from 42.8gr of H4198 seems way overly optimistic. Using 47.0gr of the same powder I get 2211fps with the 265gr FP in the longer (original) case albeit Remington®.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Dawei said:
Just my $0.02, but 2200fps from 42.8gr of H4198 seems way overly optimistic. Using 47.0gr of the same powder I get 2211fps with the 265gr FP in the longer (original) case albeit Remington®.
I would agree it is very optomistic. That being said they sure shoot good.... Just too pricy to reload for the amount of shooting I do each week. I've been loading the 240gr JSP Remington bullets and they are too expensive also, gotta start casting!

·
Registered
329 Posts
My personal opinion is that if you want a flatter shooting bullet, you need to put in a faster cartridge. The difference in drop is negligable if you ask me. They make it look good by comparing it to the 265fp sighted in at 100yds to their 444 short sighted in at 200yds. I don't think the bullet is nearly as sturdy as the FP either.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
In this case, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

The 265 gr. FN Interlock bullets and a healthy dose of H4198 work so well in my 444S that I have no interest in reloading the new bullets.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
With the release of the Hornady 444 Superperformance Ammo, we now have more of a real apples to apples comparison. Both rounds use proprietary powder that cant be duplicated using retail powders. The claimed muzzle velocity of the Leverevolution round is 2315 fps. The Superperperformance's claimed muzzle velocity bests that number with a muzzle velocity of 2400 fps. Given the effective range of a 444 rifle/cartridge, the benefits of increased ballistic coefficient of the Leverevolution bullet is negated by the higher muzzle velocity of the superperformance round. The reason why I mention this, it is an indication of how much is lost when you shorten the 444 case to the shorter length required to use the gummy tip bullets.
With that said, the LE bullets shoot very well in my rifle (2006 manufacture with 22" Ballard barrel and 1 in 20 twist). My kills on deer with the gummy tip bullet have all been very impressive (4 bang flops). All kills have been complete pass throughs with large exit holes. If you are hunting deer, a gummy tip bullet placed behind the shoulder is good for a clean and quick kill in my experience.
my $.02

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I want to add. In my 444 bullet tests, the gummy bullet was the most explosive bullet upon initial impact among the ten 44 caliber bullets tested. The results of my testing reflected the results I have seen with the deer I have shot with this bullet. I think, the construction of the FTX bullet and with its terminal performance, makes this a bullet that will serve deer hunters well if those deer hunters are particular about shot placement. Shots at moving deer where a shoulder or hind quarter might be hit, I suspect this bullet will blow up alot of meat and may not penetrate as needed.
In areas, like Montana, where the 444 will serve as a deer and an elk rifle, I would not recommend the FTX. Placed behind the shoulder, the FTX could be used to cleanly kill elk, but any marginal shot could be disaterous.

·
Premium Member
6,016 Posts
I have been shooting the HDY.265gr FN bullet + H4198 46.0gr. to 47.0gr. I see no need to change this combo. Reading this thread made me go to the Hornady"s website to check out their ballistics. The two new loaded ammo offerings (265gr.FN + 265gr.LE) of the 444 are about the same ballistic. But the Superformance 265GR. FN. is recommend in 1 in 38" barrel twist rifles.

For me the Superformance 265gr. would be the better choice over the 444 LE ammo.

If Hornady really wanted to impress me they should come out with a 300gr. FN bullet cartridge that matches the ballistics of the 405 Win. Which the new Superformance 265gr. comes pretty close. I can't believe any living creature would know the difference.

T :D NY

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I wonder if the .44 caliber FlexTip was something of an afterthought for the .444. The FlexTip in the .30-30 and .35 Rem. seems to have been the focus of developing such a bullet. Then there is the marketing advantage of moving into FlexTip production for handgun ammo. The .44 Magnum is a logical place to start. So if manufacturing a .44 cal. FlexTip for the Magnum, why not load it up in the .444 as well? The fact that only the .444 case required alteration whereas all the other FlexTip applications did not require it makes me wonder if the .444 was a marketing effort while the kinks were being worked out for introduction of the Superperformance line. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 444 is one of the best brush guns for big game like elk; and I can see no advantage to the flex tips.
I load 270 gold dots with 46.3 grs. of H4198 and within 150 yds. it's like hitting them with a car !!!

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
Big Bore 444 Hunter said:
The 444 is one of the best brush guns for big game like elk; and I can see no advantage to the flex tips.
I load 270 gold dots with 46.3 grs. of H4198 and within 150 yds. it's like hitting them with a car !!!
My load is just a bit less (46.0g) of H4198 with the older 270gr GDJFP. I'm anxious to try the newer Speer® "Deep Curl™" 270gr JFP bullet on our big Roosevelt Elk and Black Bear! (Want to test the new Hornady® Superformance™ 265gr factory ammo too.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I could not get the flex tips to work in my lever but through my NEF they are like canned lightening. My load is 52gr. IMR 3031 CCI 200 primer accy is 3 shots in less than 1" at 100 yds, recoil is stout for a 6 1/2 lb. rifle. I just love it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts