Marlin Firearms Forum banner

?Hornady critical defense 45gr FTX or CCI maxi-mag HP's 40gr? (22 mag)

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  marlin795 
#1 · (Edited)
Hogs...Hornady critical defense 45gr FTX or CCI maxi-mag HP's 40gr? (22 mag)

Im going on the small game hunt here on our 2 WMA hunts. Im wanting to kill a Big hog. You can only use a remfire on these hunts! Which bullet is better and if i could have a comparison or a website to look at for the comparison, that would be great. I also considered the winchester super x 40gr HP! Ill be looking at hogs possibly from 80lb to 200lb.

#3 · (Edited)
First, I agree with papajohnabi that your 22 mag might be a bit light for a 200lb hog but I'm sure they have been taken before. I would look for shots under 75 yards on a hog that size but that's just me.

As far as some recommended 22 WMR ammunition for your hunt, I would look at the 50gr Federal Game-Shok ammo, load # 757

Federal Premium - Rimfire Details

and the CCI 40 gr GamePoint ammo, load #0022

CCI Ammunition - Product Detail

I would also ask some of the more experienced hog hunters here on the forum about the best shot placement given your use of the 22 WMR.

Most of all, have a great hunt, keep yourself and your hunting companions safe, and enjoy the experience.

Regards, TallGrass

#4 ·
I'll second the Fed 50's, it's an accurate round and will knock down a coyote drt. Never tried hogs with it, that's .44Mag territory for me.
Best of luck with your hunt.

#5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. They have the hunt every year and hogs get taken every year by 22lrthe and magnums. I shot two with my 40cal. pistol a few yrs back just on the outside of management land. Just not real familiar with magnum Bullets!

#6 ·
Me - not unless from a tree stand!

#8 ·
If i were using my 22mag on hogs i would be shooting either Fed 50 grainers, CCI MaxiMag +V, or 'maybe' the Win SuperX 40gr HP. Shoot'em all and pick the one that groups best and run with it.
Limit your distance {your call, what your comfy with holding a tight group} and in the ear or between the eyes i would say...

Good luck
BloodGroove4570

O and carry a sidearm bigger than 22mag, double that {44mag} and youll be good to go if things turn ugly!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.