Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a fan of Leverevloutions, just a pain to reload with that squidgy tip and (IM experience) can be intermittent on loading. But was suggested to try the new Hornady offerings in 458 Cal - the 350Gr Interlock for deer sized and the DGS and'or DGX in 480Gr for bear protection. I use hardcast mostly, just always looking at options.

Anyone any experience with the above bullets?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
If you're wanting a lower cost, jacketed bullet try the Remington 300gr JHP. You can pick them up at MidwayUSA reasonable (for jacketed). The Hornady interlock 350fp is a very nice jacketed bullet that you could hunt anything with but like all Hornady bullets they are much more pricy.

I've shot at least a thousand rounds of the Remington so far and really like em. I need to start loading lead to get the price down.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi nbh,
I have not tried the rubber heads, but I have used the 350grfp quite a bit, they are a great projectile. I found they are suitable for anything from roos up to but not including our Asiatic Buffalo. It's a crazy big pig round, I use 53.5grs of ADI AR2207 (Hodgden H4198) it comes out at roughly 2150 fps, not too hot, but very effective.
As for The DGS and DGX, I sent a friend in the Northern Territory a couple (DGS) to try, he said they were fantasic on large buffalo. I have not seen the recovered projectiles because they went straight through. he said they were fantastic as each dropped the bull buffs almost on the spot. I don't know much more as there were no pics taken. I hope to be heading up there later this year and I will do a full rundown on them. As for loading, I tried to duplicate the Garrett load with 40grs of ADI AR2219 (Hodgden H322) @ just on 1500fps (1492fps is just on isn't it?) These were loaded to a standard oal and a cannalure was placed on the shaft of the projectile. At the moment I can't remember the lenght ahead of the cannalure as I did not write it down (Derh). I will check it properly in the next day or so and let you know.
Both of the above loads shoot to within 2'' of each other (I can shoot both to the almost the same POI) and both are just under 1 and 1/2" MOA, more than satisfactory for a large animal hunting load.
As for the DGX I have yet to try but will be taking them with me to the NT. I will use the same load as the DGS (can I buy a vowel). These will be used as my first shot and the DGS will be my follow up shot. I hope I don't need them.
I hope this helps.
Graeme.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
With the above loads, they are safe in my rifle (18 1/2" barrel also in a friends 22" barrel, this is the rifle the tests wereconducted in)) start at 10% below and work up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moofy, thanks a lot, looks like I am going out bullet buying and reloading tomorrow. I have great success with hardcasts, but really want to try something different.

Gunner,
Thanks for tip, but I really want (need) to keep above 350Gr. I load (and shoot) a lot of well priced casts (laser-cast), really looking for a pricey 'oooh that does the trick' kinda bullet; my 'church suit' loads if ya like!!

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi NBH,
I have had good luck with hardcast as well. I got some of Jae Bok Young's 550gr Craters and those were also great on Buffalo. I like the really heavy projectiles, they are heavy on both ends of the rifle but do the job. I picked up a single cavity Cast Bullet Engineering 570grfp mold and will soon start casting those as well. Other casting molds I use a lot are both the 6 cavity 350gr and 425gr Ranch Dogs. The Ranch Dogs are excellent molds east to cast with, at first it was a bit awkward but like anything it comes to you with practice. I was given a 2 cavity Lee 500gr but have yet to try it.
I will soon try the other end of the scale with an RCBS 300gr mold.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I love the 350fp. Shoots into big ragged one hole groups out of my 1895. Should kill anything walking. At $21.00 or so for a box, they are not outrageously priced either.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hey Digger,
$21 box bloody hell,l I pay $40 odd where do you get those?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Too right

At an inner city Brisbane gun shop, I priced Remington 405gr 45/70 factory ammo $A86.00 per box of 20!!!, about the same at most other places I have seen, my $200 Lee Anniversary Reloading kit I bought maybe 15 years ago, has long since paid for itself!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It may be cheaper here, but still not cheap - especially for the good factory stuff. The 45-70 was the sole reason I started reloading, no way I was going to pay $5 a shot for good ammo. It's great being able to go to the range, get through 50 or so good quality rounds and not be concerned about the cost. Before reloading I would get to round 10 of 45-70 and start counting $$$.
IMHO, the 1895 45-70 and 1894 in 38/357 are 2 of the most fun guns to reload for; fairly straight forward and the upper and lower boundaries and current bullet selection are huge.

·
Registered
188 Posts
moofy07 said:
Hey Digger,
$21 box bloody hell,l I pay $40 odd where do you get those?
Just checked Midway and they are $24.99 per 50. I get them at our local sports warehouse for $21.99.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Too right, the cost is just stupid, I have three presses and they have certainly paid for themselves. my latest addition was a Lee Cast Classic Turret it sped things up so much better. The last time I bought a packet of factory was about 2 months ago when I had nothing suitable ready and that was federal 3oogr. and it cost $52. a box.

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Hi nbh40,
I dug up one of the Hornady 500gr.DGS's. The one I am holding has the cannalure on the shank and it is .375" from the nose. These are loaded as above and I also use a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Hope this helps.
P.S. If you cannalure you will need to run it around the shank several times as the DGS and DGX are copper covered steel jackets and are quite hard. If you don't cannalure just use the Lee FCD.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
moofy07 said:
Hi nbh40,
I dug up one of the Hornady 500gr.DGS's. The one I am holding has the cannalure on the shank and it is .375" from the nose. These are loaded as above and I also use a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Hope this helps.
P.S. If you cannalure you will need to run it around the shank several times as the DGS and DGX are copper covered steel jackets and are quite hard. If you don't cannalure just use the Lee FCD.
Thanks, I have (and use) the Lee FCD, best reloading addition I have bought. Thanks for tips I'll work up some loads this weekend and see where we go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good Info I hate those soft tips! They are good if they are factory not so good for reloading I've been running some hard cast for my reloading seems to work great. I might try the Remington 300gr JHP. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 350gr hornady interlock bullets are they a flat point soft tip? I looking at buying reloading gear now I am sick of paying to much for factory ammo. I want to make something around the 350gr size at about 2000fps but i want a soft tip.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
aussiehunter83 said:
The 350gr hornady interlock bullets are they a flat point soft tip? I looking at buying reloading gear now I am sick of paying to much for factory ammo. I want to make something around the 350gr size at about 2000fps but i want a soft tip.
Nothing but lead up front

·
Registered
32,306 Posts
Geez your quick Gunner, You beat me to it again. I gotta admit that your pic was a better one than I was Gunner ::) ::) put up.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
moofy07 said:
Geez your quick Gunner, You beat me to it again. I gotta admit that your pic was a better one than I was Gunner ::) ::) put up.
I know what you mean moofy07, If I didn't know better I would say I'm spending too much time on here. ;D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts