Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While saving for my first 444, I have been doing some research on loading. My Hornady #6 shows a load for the 300gr bullet that tops out at 2000fps using H335. The Speer #5 shows a load with their 300gr that tops out at 2211fps with H335 and several other powder listings at around 2100fps. In both manuals the firearm and brass is the same. Only difference is the primer.

Just wondering what some of you here have experienced here with 300gr jacketed bullets? Strangely Speer shows the top speed with their 270gr bullet at the same 2211fps. Wonder if there are some typos there?

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Any 300gr jacketed bullet out of a 444 with a 22" barrel will run between 2100 to 2200fps with most powders. Those will be getting close to top end loads, there are a few powders that will get slightly above 2200fps, safely, but most folks will not go there!
I only use Federal Gold Medal Magnum primers, GM215M, they are the most consistent primer I have found and they have great spark for the colder climates.

IMHO the Speer is the best 300gr bullet for the cost, but! The best bullet for integrity is by far the Swift 300gr, if a premium bullet is needed, the Swifts the one.

Speer dosen't take the 270gr Gold Dot to far above the 2200fps range because it will be prone to failure at any close range shots on large game. but IMHO it is one of the most accurate bullets in the 2100fps range in our 1-38 MG's and it is a dandy killer of whitetail deer.

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Wonder if there are some typos there?
Anything is possible...but I have found very few typos in most reloading manuals. I think what you are seeing is that no two firearms are the same and no testing is conducted exactly the same. Start on the low end and work your loads up carefully as you reach top pressure. I don't know if you have a chrono, but I bet your numbers won't match theirs, because all the variables will be different. Don't sweat the small stuff, no critters will be comparing velocity with the manuals when your 300gr .444 smacks 'em.

Good luck with your new rifle...the .444 is a good one!

Yeah I saved my 444th post for a .444 thread.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
First, I do not push for top velocities in reloads for any caliber.

My experience has been that recent versions of the Hornady manuals give more conservative load data than some of the other major brand manuals.

Personally, this is of no concern since I am looking for accurate loads with 100% reliable functioning in my firearm. When I reach that objective I stop load development. An additional 100 fps MV adds nothing to my success in the field where shots at game are typically inside of 100 yards.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
WyoStillhunter said:
First, I do not push for top velocities in reloads for any caliber.

My experience has been that recent versions of the Hornady manuals give more conservative load data than some of the other major brand manuals.

Personally, this is of no concern since I am looking for accurate loads with 100% reliable functioning in my firearm. When I reach that objective I stop load development. An additional 100 fps MV adds nothing to my success in the field where shots at game are typically inside of 100 yards.
I do push every caliber I load for with the bullet of my choice for:

#1 Best accuracy

#2 Highest velocity

I don't Handload for saving money, I Handload for the best Ammo possible in my hunting arms......Period, Thats why I'm so high on the 444 with 1-38 twist Micro-groove, 99% of the time you get the highest velocity with the best accuracy with bullets over 280grs.

I could have saved thousands of Dollars and thousands of man hours, through my life shooting Over the counter Ammo (OTC) VS Handloading.

Once a load has been worked up and set in stone, there is no OTC ammo that will match or exceed my own, thats the payoff for me, knowing when the time comes, the rifle and load will not be the problem, just the shooter.

·
Super Moderator
15,872 Posts
Starrbow said:
Any 300gr jacketed bullet out of a 444 with a 22" barrel will run between 2100 to 2200fps with most powders. Those will be getting close to top end loads, there are a few powders that will get slightly above 2200fps, safely, but most folks will not go there!
I only use Federal Gold Medal Magnum primers, GM215M, they are the most consistent primer I have found and they have great spark for the colder climates.

IMHO the Speer is the best 300gr bullet for the cost, but! The best bullet for integrity is by far the Swift 300gr, if a premium bullet is needed, the Swifts the one.

Speer dosen't take the 270gr Gold Dot to far above the 2200fps range because it will be prone to failure at any close range shots on large game. but IMHO it is one of the most accurate bullets in the 2100fps range in our 1-38 MG's and it is a dandy killer of whitetail deer.
I know that to be true of of the older Speer® 270gr .429" Soft Point (#4461). That bullet is a UNI-COR™ Gold Dot. That bullet however is no longer available; it's been replaced by the "Deep Curl™" bullet utilizing the same part# (#44461). Initially, I surmised it was the same bullet with just the name change. Apparently such is not the case, at least according to Speer®. Have you tried any of these newer 270gr bullets, or know of those who have?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the imput. Especially City Slicker with his 444th post. I am honored ;D
I didnt mean to imply that I was looking for the top velocity or anything. I'll leave that to Flattop. Like most of you I go for accuracy first. I will probably shoot mostly cast bullets anyway.

I had just noticed the difference in the manuals and wondered if there was anything to it. I'm hoping for a good month and a little extra cash to be able to start the process of looking for my next Marlin.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Dawei,
It is my understanding that Speer just changed names and nothing else on the old 270gr Gold Dot.

·
Super Moderator
15,872 Posts
Starrbow said:
Dawei,
It is my understanding that Speer just changed names and nothing else on the old 270gr Gold Dot.
So my initial suspicions were correct after all; thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Just tried using H335 in some reloads recently and had sticky cases at starting charges. I can't remember what the start charge was off the top of my head. I tried several powders to try and get to 2200 fps with the 300 grain bullet and all were high pressure right at 2200 fps. 47 grain of RL 7 got me 2150 fps with no sticky cases. 48 was 2200 fps but sticky cases. I know some guys like H335 but my rifle liked 47 grains of RL 7 for a top end load. Maybe your rifle mite like it but mine sure didnt. If you try RL 7 I would start with like 41 grains I think thats what the Speer manual has for a start charge with the 300 grain bullet. Remember start low and work your way up. All the powders I used were accurate, the only reason I went with RL 7 was I have a lot of it. Go with the data from Speer #14.

Scott

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree 100 % with Starrbow, best of speed and accuracy, why not have both? I have a friend who shoots a 340 weatherby, but loads it below max loads for a regular 338, why I ask because it is accurate he says. I suggest he keeps looking for a better load. I see no sense in having something that is capable of being both accurate and hardest hitting possible, that is why we have these, or we would shoot a 30-30. I believe in getting the most of your firearm, and of course always be in safe ranges for your firearm too

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Pioneer said:
I agree 100 % with Starrbow, best of speed and accuracy, why not have both? I have a friend who shoots a 340 weatherby, but loads it below max loads for a regular 338, why I ask because it is accurate he says. I suggest he keeps looking for a better load. I see no sense in having something that is capable of being both accurate and hardest hitting possible, that is why we have these, or we would shoot a 30-30. I believe in getting the most of your firearm, and of course always be in safe ranges for your firearm too
I have a Browning Stainless Stalker in .300 WM. I like the way it carries, feels and shoulders. It is very accurate and it only shoots handloads at .308 Win velocities. I do not need the Win Mag velocities for WTD hunting. I love the rifle but feel no need to sell it because I do not top end load it. Almost all of my 13 plus Marlins are just cast bullet shooters. What do I do now?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts