Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually feed my 336 30-30 carbines Remington Core-lokts and Federal 150s, but just happened to see some of these Hornady American Whitetail loads in the store, so thought I would try them in my 18 1/2" barreled 336T. Price was right - on a par with what I usually pay for Remington Core-lokts which are the least expensive 30-30 factory rounds in our area. Had just scoped my 336T, anyway, with a Leupold 2-7x and was on the way out to the range when I spotted this Hornady ammo.

Now, my 336T shoots the way you would expect a short barreled Marlin to shoot - pretty darn good, but no one is going to win a bench rest competition with one. It's one of my favorite Marlins, though, to carry in the woods or just shoot for fun at the range. When it comes to handling, it gives my Winchester 94 a run for the money and it is definitely smoother to operate. Hey, it's a Marlin!

Sighted in with 150 grain Core-lokts to be dead on at 50 yards to test for accuracy. All shooting was at 50 yards, too, because in our woods, even 50 yards is a long shot, though I will return later and sight in for a longer distance. Today was just getting the scope dialed in and testing for accuracy. Besides, I have other 336 30-30s for long range work.

As usual, the Core-lokts shot consistently and dependably. Five shot groups at 50 were about inch and a half. The Federal Blue box 150s tightened that up just a smidge. No surprise, there, as the Federals have always dome well for me.

On to the Hornady. Noticeable improvement, even over the Federals. Here's my best 5 shot group at 50. (The smaller holes are 22 LR that someone else had shot.) Yup, I may make this 336T a tack driver, yet. If you see some of this ammo, you might want to give it a try in your Marlin. My "T" sure likes it. By the way, all three brands of 150 grainers shot to very close to the same POI.

Orange dot is 7/8"

·
Registered
11,599 Posts
Thanks for the review, I've never tried them.

·
Registered
504 Posts
...Sighted in with 150 grain Core-lokts to be dead on at 50 yards to test for accuracy. All shooting was at 50 yards, too, because in our woods, even 50 yards is a long shot, though I will return later and sight in for a longer distance....
you will actually shoot a tad better at 100 or 150 yds, wherever leupold sets the parallax on those.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
:congrats:Looks mighty good to me NCG!:tee:

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
I bought some in .308 Win but haven't tried them yet thank you for the review on them!!!!

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
I have the 139 grain 7mm-08 loading in this brand. My Savage Model 11 loves them--I will have to see if I can find them in 30-30=0. Thanks for the tip! :tee:

Reactions: Cajun

·
Registered
327 Posts
Saw these locally and thought about buying a box. Maybe I should have! So far my Marlin has liked 170 grain better, but who knows.

·
Registered
736 Posts
When I got my first 336 in 30-30 I ran by Academy just to buy anything to go out and see if the gun would go boom.
The Hornady Whitetail 150gr was a good price so I got a box. It shot very well.
I reload so I started looking for brass on line and the only thing I could find in stock was HORNADY. The Hornady brass was not much cheaper than the Hornady Whitetail load so I decided to just buy my brass "with bullets" and do some shooting, then use the empty brass for my lead cast loads.
I think I ended up buying about 5 or 6 boxes. I still have a few factory loads left and use them to shoot any new gun for the first time to check it out and get it "on paper".
I have started loading the spent brass and it seems to work well. So for me the Hornady Whitetail 150gr has been a winner all the way around.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I usually feed my 336 30-30 carbines Remington Core-lokts and Federal 150s, but just happened to see some of these Hornady American Whitetail loads in the store, so thought I would try them in my 18 1/2" barreled 336T. Price was right - on a par with what I usually pay for Remington Core-lokts which are the least expensive 30-30 factory rounds in our area. Had just scoped my 336T, anyway, with a Leupold 2-7x and was on the way out to the range when I spotted this Hornady ammo.

Now, my 336T shoots the way you would expect a short barreled Marlin to shoot - pretty darn good, but no one is going to win a bench rest competition with one. It's one of my favorite Marlins, though, to carry in the woods or just shoot for fun at the range. When it comes to handling, it gives my Winchester 94 a run for the money and it is definitely smoother to operate. Hey, it's a Marlin!

Sighted in with 150 grain Core-lokts to be dead on at 50 yards to test for accuracy. All shooting was at 50 yards, too, because in our woods, even 50 yards is a long shot, though I will return later and sight in for a longer distance. Today was just getting the scope dialed in and testing for accuracy. Besides, I have other 336 30-30s for long range work.

As usual, the Core-lokts shot consistently and dependably. Five shot groups at 50 were about inch and a half. The Federal Blue box 150s tightened that up just a smidge. No surprise, there, as the Federals have always dome well for me.

On to the Hornady. Noticeable improvement, even over the Federals. Here's my best 5 shot group at 50. (The smaller holes are 22 LR that someone else had shot.) Yup, I may make this 336T a tack driver, yet. If you see some of this ammo, you might want to give it a try in your Marlin. My "T" sure likes it. By the way, all three brands of 150 grainers shot to very close to the same POI.

Orange dot is 7/8"

This is a 30 caliber bullet (.30" diameter). I have identical orange dots. They are 1 1/2" in diameter. Still, quite accurate.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I might add that the 150 gr Round Nose Interlock bullet used in that factory ammo has outstanding terminal performance on deer.

I shot a 135-140 lb buck last fall with a handload using that bullet at a range of 40 yards. It broke a rib on the way in, leaving a large wound. It then opened up to turn a 3" cylinder through both lungs into nothing, and it then exited through a rib, leaving a wound that bled profusely.

We used to have six choices of factory ammo for the 30-30: Rem, Win, and Fed in 150 and 170 gr weights. Hornady LE became the seventh choice, and now the Hornady American Whitetail becomes choice #8. There may be others that are uncommon enough to not make my list, but there is essentially no 30-30 rifle that can't find a suitable, accurate ammo that it likes, unless there is a defect with the gun itself.

If your rifle likes the American Whitetail, take it hunting and you will like the results.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Nice shooting like your rifle too. When it comes to buying brass for the 30 30 I'll buy boxed ammo then reload the fired brass. I come out about even that way. If I see the HDY American whitetail ammo I'll pick up a box or two.
Thanks
T:biggrin: NY

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks for the report. I picked up a box the other day when I got my gun. I just came back from gander mtn. Picked up 2 box's of hornady leverevolution 160 gr. So I will be all set when I get my gun back from the shop.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
This is a 30 caliber bullet (.30" diameter). I have identical orange dots. They are 1 1/2" in diameter. Still, quite accurate.
Nope, sorry, that is a 7/8" dot. We use several sizes. We get them in 7/8" (shown), 2" and 3". For anything with a scope we use the 7/8. For iron sights we use the larger dots. That group measured just a hair over 1 inch with the ruler.

·
Premium Member
16,818 Posts
good shootin'

also on the dots for scoped rifles, I buy the orange dot labels from office depot instead of the official targ-dots, they are a lot cheaper

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
I too have had good experience with that round, thanks for the review.

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Darn nice looking and shooting Texan, NCG!!! DP

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.