Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was at my LGS yesterday buying some powder so I can slowly get started learning to reload, I was dismayed to see they had sold atleast 18 boxes of the rn Hornady 200gr interlocks, gone in one day. WOW They have quite a few of the same basic bullet but in a 250 gr size, (358 dia). Is this bullet too heavy for a typical 35Rem load? Or just bite the bullet and order them on line? I'm going to try my hand on lead after I get the hang of the jacketed bullets first since that is what I have and can find! Already been snooping around on the NOE site! Thanx for any feedback. Randy

336 35Rem 1969
444S 444M 1974
1895SBL 45-70 2014
Team 35 523
Team 444 650
Team 1895 1333

·
Premium Member
8,169 Posts
I know some of the folks have had good success loading 250 gr bullets in the .35 Remington, but in most cases, I believe those were cast bullets. I reckon most 250 gr jacketed bullets are going to built a bit on the heavy side for the velocities you will attain with a .35 Remington. It will be interesting to hear what some real .35 aficionados chime in with.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
They have quite a few of the same basic bullet but in a 250 gr size, (358 dia). Is this bullet too heavy for a typical 35Rem load? Or just bite the bullet and order them on line?
Randy,

The 250's are good in a .35 Whelen,OK in a .358 Winchester. The .35 Remington does not have the poke to make them a good choice. Or even a poor choice.

Bite the bullet (pun), and order a couple three boxes from Midway or similar. You might want to grab a couple boxes of the Speer 220's while you are at the computer. They are both pretty fair choices, and will get anything on the ground you might chase with a .35R. I've had four boxes of the Sierra 200's on backorder for months, and I'd feel pretty low if I didn't have a fair supply of Hornady RN's and 180/220gr Speers on the bench.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
No expert about this subject but here goes anyway. I'm quite fond of anything .35 caliber that goes bang! The .35 Remington is best served by bullets no heavier than the Speer 220 grain flat nose designed around the .35 Rem. The 250 grain bullets in .35 caliber are all designed for really big game like Moose, Elk, and big bears. I think most any .35 caliber 250 grain bullet will be too long for consistent feeding up out of a tubular magazine and the .35 Remington just cannot drive the 250 grainers at the velocities required to make them expand.

I've got some big boy .35 calibers, three .358 Winchesters, two .35 Whelens, and one .350 Remington Magnum (along with four .35 Remingtons and two .357 Magnum rifles). In those aforementioned calibers, the .35 caliber 250 grain bullet really shines for big game. I am particularly fond of the Hornady 250 grain RN bullet which I drive in excess of 2400 fps from my .358 Winchesters. I also like it when used in my .350 Rem Mag. Note that those two cartridges are used in short action rifles because when loaded, it helps maintain overall cartridge length without impeding into the available powder space. The .35 Whelens I own like the 250 grain Speer Spitzer which can be launched at almost 2600 fps.

So, my guesstimation is to use 180 grain, 200 grain and 220 grain bullets in the .35 Remington. My personal preference in the Marlin .35 Remingtons is either the 200 grain Hornady RN or the Hornady 200 graiin FTX gummie tips. From personal experience, those two bullets kill deer like the hammer of Thor when driven @ 2200 fps from the .35 Remington.

358 Win

Reactions: papajohn and rlm1

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
The way I see it, you've got 2 strikes against you right off the bat if you want to give the 250 RN a try in the .35 Rem. cartridge. The first is more internal barrel friction than the lighter weight bullets, restricting velocity. The second, also relating to restricting velocity, is the deeper seating in the case to allow it to feed from the mag tube thru the action, lessening powder capacity & lowering velocity. I would use the Hornady 200FTX or 180 or the Speer 220FP. Midsouthshooterssupply.com has the 220 Speers for $16 a box of 50....the cheapest I've run across. I bought 2. Midway is costliest @ $22 a box. jd45

1 - 7 of 7 Posts