Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The 45/70 really shines when used with hand-loaded ammo., hence it seems to me to ask the question of how does the Hornady 325 gr FTX bullet perform on the really big game?
The subjective replies (Eg. Awesome, really well, super etc. etc.) are welcome yes, but I am looking for more specific details of ranges, type of shot IE: quartering, broadside, etc., measured MV, penetration and expansion and the like.
Thanks all.

Longshotz

· Registered
44 Posts
Hornady's website use to have a section Called Team Hornady. In here people could post their story and pics of the hunt taken with their ammo. The 45/70 LE load accounted for a lot of the gsame taken. Several nice buffalo, and elk that I remember.

· Registered
152 Posts
I have not shot anything with my 45/70 XLR & LE ammo but I did get a nice antelope in WY this past Sept with my 308 XLR and the LE 160 Gr bullet. One shot one kill at 237 yards and it went just a few yards and down. Blew the heart into a few pieces and the bullet exited out the other side so I don't know what the bullet looked like. I used my 45/70 for whitetail this past month but did not find anything to shoot. I will be going mule deer hunting in WY next fall but plan on using Buffalo Bore 350 JFN round for that. May run into a griz and want something with a good punch for self defense. If not for bears I would use the LE but I think I will feel better with the Buffalo round. I have shot the Buffalo round with 1" MOA at 100 yards for three shots so it is also a good round. When I sighted in with the LE ammo I had it 3 inches high at 100 yards, 4 inches low at 200 yards and 26 inches low at 300 yards. It will be a good round for 200+ yards.

My 2 cents but no kill experience yet with the 45/70 and the LE round.

· Registered
2,329 Posts
Judging from how the 325gr load worked on a couple deer shot my members on this site I think its good for just that, deer size game. I wouldnt use it for anything bigger do to lack of penetraion. There are much better ammo choices for Elk, Moose and big Bear.

Cheers

Seabass

· Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Warhawk said:
Thanks for the reply. This and others I have read (Seabass for example) seem to indicate that the 325 FTX is best left for the "smaller stuff".
That your bullet was recovered on the offside ; (vs. threw and threw) and the damage in between at the 100 yd. range makes this a deer size game bullet extraordinaire.
What this does indicate is that the 45/70, properly hand loaded, can be the one rifle for all your needs if the quarry is on the close side of 200 yds.

· Registered
575 Posts
"Spendy stuff",,,you got that right! But I would love to bust a hog with one of these!

150 dollars for these! WOW!

Here is what it says...
For those in pursuit of elephant, rhino, hippo, and cape buffalo we enthusiastically recommend our Exiter Ammo featuring the new Hornady 500-gr Flatnose Solid, with its Copper-Clad Steel Jacket. Copper-Clad for proper barrel compatibility and a heavy Steel Jacket for tremendous strength, this premium solid provides reliable penetration of the heaviest thick-skinned game. This Hornady Copper-Clad Steel Jacket Solid has been proving itself for three decades now on the world’s heaviest game, and is now available for the first time in a flatnose version, making it safe for use in lever-action rifles. We enthusiastically utilize this bullet in our Exiter Ammo for use against elephant, rhino, hippo, and cape buffalo.

Although our Exiter Ammo is completely safe in those single-shot rifles recommended for use with our 420-grain +P Hammerhead Ammo, we strongly recommend against the use of single-shot rifles when in pursuit of dangerous game.

· Registered
2 Posts
i would never shoot hogs with solids in a 45-70. i dont care what anyone says the 45-70 will kill any hog with 350 grain soft points. i have killed hogs up to 400 lbs. with a 3 inch plate using 350 grainers. you need some expansion. they are one of the toughest animals in the world in my opinion and i have taken sheep and brown bear for comparison of tough critters.

· Registered
27 Posts
With the cost of factory ammo, now is the time to consider loading your own. That's what I do and enjoy it much. I am so glad that Hornady put their FTX bullets on market for handloaders. My FTX handloads are a good bit faster than factory. I have killed 4 deer this year with them and have not caught one yet. I know they will break both front shoulders of a 120 lb doe and exit. I agree with some of the other post; the FTX appears to be best suited for game under 600lb. In my experience the FTX is better than other 300gr HP bullets, except the Nosler. The FTX seems to expand better as well as penetrate better. I doubt 25 gr of bullet would improve performance as much as bullet design in this case.

· Registered
2,329 Posts
As for 300grain .458 bullets I'd rank them as Nosler Partition 1st, with the Barnes XFN and Speer Uni-Cor tied for second. These would be good choices for Elk, Moose, size game imo. While the Hornady, Remington, Sirrea and FTX 325gr are best suited to Deer sized critters.

· Registered
183 Posts
While this appears to be an ancient thread I'll toss in with Kevin. I haven't used the 325 grain FTX but the 338 200 grain FTX in the factory ammo has been my go-to ammo for over a decade on moose and I have yet to have bad performance on one. It is always bullet under the skin on the far side. This year's bull was a 50"er that was probably 1200 pounds on the hoof. The FTX killed him dead as a hammer - just like every other bull I've killed. I think the FTX is just fine for larger game. Don't underestimate it.

· Registered
1,429 Posts
My son shoots an 1895 guide gun. He shot a big boar hog at about 30 yds, standing broadside. The Hornady 325 ftx , killed the hog but it ran a 100yds into the thick brush. It got dark on us and we couldn't stay on the weak blood trail.......we found the pig the next morning.....the bullet did not penetrate the 300lb pig,. And the fat plugged up the entry hole quick.
I would consider a heavier bullet that you know will penetrate completely on larger game......

Plant Hat Tree Working animal Terrestrial animal

· Registered
738 Posts
Big hogs stop bullets! Some bullets anyway. I shot a 300lb hog through the shoulders with a Speer 400gr JSP. The bullet expanded to 90 cal before coming to rest under the skin on the far side. That hog ran about 100yds through some heavy brush before giving up the ghost. I'd suggest the Swift A-Frame or a Hammer mono-metal bullet if you want exits on big hogs.

Heavy hardcast should work too but my rifle always preferred jacketed bullets or solid copper bullets.

· Registered
1,887 Posts
I did get full penetration on this big Georgia Boar with the 325gr FTX out of my BLR/.450 at about 110 yards. The factory .450 load starts out at 175FPS faster than the .45-70 load 2225 V 2050.

Hunting Deer hunting Plant Trophy hunting Sky
Boar Terrestrial animal Grass Snout Wood
Sky Hunting Marines Plant Grass

· Registered
183 Posts
Perhaps pigs are tougher than moose. Perhaps the 200 grain .338 diameter bullet is more efficient than the .458 325 grain version. It is still the same design: FTX. I'm at 8 bull moose (and more caribou than that), at ranges from 80 yards out to a bit beyond 200. Penetration has never, ever been an issue.

I would add that I used the same bullet on 8 African animals last year, including two large bull kudu and a large bull wildebeest - and a large boar warthog. Same thing: zero penetration issues. I had dead animals in very short order.

· Registered
738 Posts
Perhaps pigs are tougher than moose. Perhaps the 200 grain .338 diameter bullet is more efficient than the .458 325 grain version. It is still the same design: FTX. I'm at 8 bull moose (and more caribou than that), at ranges from 80 yards out to a bit beyond 200. Penetration has never, ever been an issue.

I would add that I used the same bullet on 8 African animals last year, including two large bull kudu and a large bull wildebeest - and a large boar warthog. Same thing: zero penetration issues. I had dead animals in very short order.
You have about as qualified a position as I've ever heard. Congrats on all of your harvests.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts