Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to reloading 30-30 as I just traded for a '97 336CS. I want to reload Hornady cases and was wondering if it is shorter in length,like the 45-70, than typical 30-30 brass. I will use a variety of FN and maybe some of the ftx as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,857 Posts
None of the 30-30 Hornady LE brass I have was short. But all the 45-70 Hornady stuff I have is short. It's a bummer, but it is what it is. Measure yours to make sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hornady 30-30 brass is the same length as other makers. Nothing to worry about. I'm stuck with a couple boxes of 45-70 brass that is useless to me because of the length. I sure wish I knew about the length difference before I bought the ammo!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm stuck with a couple boxes of 45-70 brass that is useless to me because of the length. I sure wish I knew about the length difference before I bought the ammo!
Hawes, it isn't entirely useless, and would work fine for trail Boss loads. You could also simply seat a number of cast bullets and crimp in a different groove to minimize problems with reliable function. In these days of scarce brass, you'd find more than a couple grateful shooters that would happily buy once fired brass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.