Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone on here has had experience with the new Hornady 140 monoflex bullet for the 30-30. It seems to have a better overall shape and ballistic coef than the 160 gr. Has anyone reloaded it and shot it thru a chrony yet? According to Hornady Web Site it can be loaded in tubular magazines.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have purchased these rounds. I have not fired them yet but plan on using them for hawg hunting since I have to use lead free ammo where I live. Once I zero my rifle with these rounds and take a hawg I will repost with my results. I have heard nothing but positives about these rounds though.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I loaded some last week. Didn't shoot through a chrony but just shot a few rounds using LVR powder at 34.5, 35.0 and 35.5 gr. Accuracy was pretty good with all loads but I had at least 1 flyer to pull the 50 yd groups out to 1 inch. 35.5 had 3 touching with the 4th shot low and away. It was hot and I should have been more carefull with the barrel temp.
I am going to load up more at 35.5 using the once fired and neck sized cases from the first round. Hopefully, I will get chrony data and good groups.
I have read other reports that got approx 2400 fps with the 35.5 load in a Marlin.

Bob A

·
Registered
440 Posts
Floridamarlin said:
bob, was that scoped or iron sights?
Scoped. 1.5 X 4.5 Bushnell Banner. This is my Glenfield 30 with a short mag. For some reason, this Glenfield shoots much tighter groups than my 336 with full length mag. I keep a Williams peep on the 336. 1 inch groups at 50 yards would be just fine from the 336. I expect better, or at least more consistent from the Glenfield.

Bob A

·
Registered
393 Posts
35.5 grains of LVR powder gives 2403FPS (average) out of my 18 inch barreled 336 30 30 with the 140 monoflex bullets. Accuracy is very good. This bullet does well in all my 30 caliber lever guns. I've chronographed it at 2735 out of my 30 caliber wild cat with very good accuracy. I load it with the longest COAL that my recievers can handle and crimp with a Lee Factory Crimp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been shooting the hornady leverevolution rounds in my 30-30 and 45-70 for a few years now. 1 word . FANTASTIC! for instance with my 30-30 using federal ammo and remington core locts i was usually averaging 3 inch groups at 100 yards off my bags . When i switched over to the hornady factory leverevolution , my group easily went to an inch and a half and out of a lever gun its fantastic. killed 3 deer with the 30 30 and these loads. 1 ran bout 40 yards and fell over. The other 2 were DRT. hit the ground where i shot. Am a big shoulder shooter. 2 exit holes and 1 blew apart a lil and got stuck in the opposite shoulder. alot of bloodshot tissue and internal damage. exit holes were roughly as big as a quarter. Ok with my 45 70 H&R handi rifle , i was shooting buffalo bore loads and they absolutely jab the crud out of you. in that light handi rifle , those were extremely close to the same recoil as my 3 inch hevi shot turkey loads. so i decided to go to the local gun shop and found the leverevolutions for the 45-70. 325 grain i believe. the buffalo bore out of my handi rifle would shoot between 2 1/2 to 3 inch groups again. Plus not to mention they are $60 a box. well i drew up a target and placed a dot on it about the size of a quarter. maybe a fuzz bigger . set it up at 100 yards. it hit high so i made the necessary adjustments and fired again. Thought i had completely missed paper . couldnt see a dot where i hit. so i shot again. again nothing. Walked off to the target and it put 2 shots in that black dot a fuzz bigger than a quarter. Absolutely kills the crud out of deer. and have layed prob 20 hogs down with authority. out of my 1895G in 45 70 with that lil short barrel i am gettin about 2 inch groups at 100 yards with those loads. With my marlin 338 mx i just got. i am shooting a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 group at 100 with it . I know every gun is different, and some may not like them, but the guns that like the hornady lever evolution loads , its a vast improvement over the old round or flat nose loads we are so use to. hornady has truly made a round that is bringing the old lever guns out of the closet again!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts