Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do any of you revolver guys know anything about a H&A Safety Police 38 stainless or nickle plated revolver. My mother in law owns one and has had it for a number of years. She has kept it beside her bed and did shoot it many years ago when she first purchased the gun. It has August 1906 or 1908 on the barrel. It say Safety Police on top of the revolver. She is going to send me picture but I have not received them yet. Any thought on if this is even safe to shoot value ect. I have looked around some and I get the feeling you could shoot it but may damage it with enough shooting and the value is not very much.

She sent me a picture and it does not look to be in to bad of shape

janettes Hopkins and Allen.jpg

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Golphin,
I don't much about H&A revolvers but do own one. Mine is nickle plated, 3" barrel, bobbed hammer, double action only in .38 S&W. I've shot it numerous times and it functioned great but the fixed sights have it shooting about a foot high. No problem if your at card playing distance and shooting under the table. I don't have a clue as to the history of mine as it was given to me many years ago by a co-worker. It even came with it's own holster. About 25 years ago I told our rural route mail delivery carrier that I was given one. Several days later he gives me a nearly full box of old balloon head .38 S&W cartridges. The box had a unique hand written tag on it from the original retailer which reads: "$1.50 a box or 3 cents each. I asked my late father in law about it and said during the depression, most farmers did not have the money to buy a full box so they would buy as many as they needed to load a revolver or do some killing and butchering. That made sense to me as he came from a family of 11 children plus the parents. My FIL told me his dad had a falling block single shot .22 and all they used were .22 shorts to kill the animals for butchering because the shorts were less expensive.

So sorry for digressing!

358 Win

·
Registered
327 Posts
Had a chance to buy that ones twin about 30 years ago. I was young, what can I say. Had a H&A shotgun that sure did kick.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Banned
8,174 Posts
My pops had one years ago.Don't know where it wound up .Its a 38,right?I would shoot it.It's probably worth from $200-$300.I see em at pawn shops now and then.

·
Premium Member
24,626 Posts
Do any of you revolver guys know anything about a H&A Safety Police 38 stainless or nickle plated revolver. My mother in law owns one and has had it for a number of years. She has kept it beside her bed and did shoot it many years ago when she first purchased the gun. It has August 1906 or 1908 on the barrel. It say Safety Police on top of the revolver. She is going to send me picture but I have not received them yet. Any thought on if this is even safe to shoot value ect. I have looked around some and I get the feeling you could shoot it but may damage it with enough shooting and the value is not very much.

She sent me a picture and it does not look to be in to bad of shape

View attachment 111415

I have one like that in 32. It's a good little pistol. Should be safe to
shoot long as it latches up tight and the cylinder ain't worn, but if it
ain't been shot much I bet it's still good to go.
That's a top break pistol though so check it.
I haven't had mine out in several years.

·
Premium Member
12,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yes, it is a 38 S&W not special. From what I could tell and checking around GB I agree with the $200. to $300. value. I think I am going to tell her to keep it right where she has it beside the bed. She lives in a gated community now and feels safer but many times it is the neighbor not the stranger. It won't hurt a thing and she does know how to shoot it if she needs to.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Bill Goforth was the leading expert on Iver Johnson and Hopkins & Allen firearms. Sadly he passed away in January of 2011 and the firearms community lost a great man with a enormous amount of knowledge and the willingness to share that knowledge with all. He wrote the following concerning the H&A Safety Police:

"The Hopkins & Allen 'safety police model' was the last top break design manufactured by them between about 1910 and 1917. it was also their best top break design and was almost as good as Iver Johnson's hammer the hammer action. the safety police model has a hammer mounted on a cam and the hammer cannot reach the firing pin unless the trigger is actually pulled through its firing cycle. the problem is the hammer and cam are a fragile arrangement and do get out of time. this action was also tested by the government in 1910 but failed after only 923 round of smokeless rounds were fired. therefore it is my opinion that these revolver should not be fired with modern smokeless ammo. there are no know factory serial number records that give we can use the identify year of manufacture except the era 1910-1917."
Bill

Roe

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Golphin,
In my previous post I forgot to mention your H&A revolver is probably nickel plated. DON'T go near it with Hoppes #9 which attacks the nickel finish.

358 Win

1 - 9 of 9 Posts