Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday all, just got a call from my cousin in Blaney (even the name makes ya feel cold) 40k SW of Bathurst, he said there is 2-3" of snow there, 4c there today.
OZ howz it down in Tassie.

GUS

·
Registered
289 Posts
Been a little chilly here lately, have had a few dumps of snow up the farm the past few weeks.
This is what it looked like last Sunday morning when TYB and I went for a shot.

When we went to leave home the doors were frozen shut on the ute, drove 15km before the frost on the side windows melted enough that they could be wound down.
Got to the farm and the lock on the gate was frozen, young bloke had to use a lighter to melt the ice to get the key in, then give it another go to free up the tumblers.
Ground was frozen solid, track that has been 4wd only for the past few months we flew up in 2wd without a hint of wheel spin.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Y'all stay warm down there. Our winter will be here soon enough for me, old joints don not take kindly to the cold and damp weather, lots of aches in my old bones. Take care, stay warm, John.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Been a little chilly here lately, have had a few dumps of snow up the farm the past few weeks.
This is what it looked like last Sunday morning when TYB and I went for a shot.

When we went to leave home the doors were frozen shut on the ute, drove 15km before the frost on the side windows melted enough that they could be wound down.
Got to the farm and the lock on the gate was frozen, young bloke had to use a lighter to melt the ice to get the key in, then give it another go to free up the tumblers.
Ground was frozen solid, track that has been 4wd only for the past few months we flew up in 2wd without a hint of wheel spin.
220 thats about as close as I want to get to that sort of cold,
Like Glockmeister said cold and old bones:ahhhhh:.

At least it would be easy seeing a fox in that frost.

GUS

·
Registered
289 Posts
Wiskers Im not keen on the cold either but it wasn't to bad, no wind made it feel warmer than it was and once the sun was up it was quite pleasant sitting in it glassing.
A few of the puddles we broke the ice on near the ute had refrozen when we got back to there so cold yes but not as bad as you would think, I could still feel my hands after a couple of hours and wasn't wearing gloves.
Here is another pic, ice crystals growing out of the ground at the entrance to a wombat burrow

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Frost here this morning.
We were at Cradle Thursday and Friday. Went for tea at the pub Thursday night and when we walked out we couldn't tell which was our car. A blizzard had come from no where and we had a job finding our way half a km back to our cabin. Had to walk (skate) to breakfast Friday morning as the car was frozen shut.
I'll post pics when I can find them.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
4deg here this morning. (Bowen). That's damn cold for us. Don't know how you can live in the snow. The worst part about up here is it goes from 4 to 26 in a few hours so you do get a chance to acclimatise. Guess you guys down south have got the fires goin'.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Hey Mac. 4*c is cold for Bowen. I woke to a huge frost in Atherton one September years ago.

We moved here from QLD in 2003 and really like the climate. We don't have the extremes you have up there. Seldom gets below 0* or above 30*. The temp range were we were in QLD was -5 to 47 with summer storms every afternoon that would take your roof off.

Anyway, not a cloud in the sky here, very still and 10*, I'm off on the bike for a spin.

Have a good day,
Mark.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mac.
I seen that on the weather, i thought you lot up there would be feeling it.:ahhhhh:

Was it worth the sittin and glassin. :biggrin:

OZ
Come on now mate, I can still remember the pics you posted a two years ago, of your place all covered in snow.
Stop baging paradise. :biggrin:

I rang my mum last night (she is only 82:biggrin:) and she said it was -6 to +4 down in Bathurst on friday, lucky ya kept going south Mark.:hmmmm:

GUS

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Well, it's mid summer here in Central Florida and it is far from cold. The temps are routinely in the low to mid 90's and the humidity is typically no lower than about 80%. Most evenings it rains because the clouds just can't retain anymore moisture. It's a bit odd when the sun is shining and it is raining.
Cool sounds pretty darn good to me right about now. :)

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
I've lived, worked and hunted in the tropics and I certainly have no desire to do it again.:ahhhhh:

Mark.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I had Ice here yesterday .... but it was in a glass with Bushmills :flute: while i sat on the deck waiting for the meat to tan on the BBQ - I hear we are looking at 27C this coming week ! Gotta hate winter ....

Reactions: whiskers and Oz

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Had ice here too, in the trough in the cow paddock, was still there at 4 in the arvo.

Reactions: whiskers

·
Registered
289 Posts
Had ice here too, in the trough in the cow paddock, was still there at 4 in the arvo.
Had a bit about in the afternoon last weekend, think it might have been there for more than a day.
Puddles that had frozen over and then the water had drained leaving 1cm ice sitting over empty holes or 10cm above the water.
17c here today so quite pleasant.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know ya game,you lot are just trying to suck us into goin south. :ahhhhh:
The only ice up here is in a bundy rum and coke, :beerglass:(cant find a glass with black stuff in it).
me and Leverlad are stayin put a while longer. :biggrin:

GUS

·
Registered
289 Posts
I know ya game,you lot are just trying to suck us into goin south. :ahhhhh:
Got a call from Mum this afternoon, looked like something was chasing some cattle, she grabbed the binoculars and had a look, bloody deer in with them again.

Oh well I guess I will have to head up in the morning and see if I can shoot one.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Gotta protect ya stock.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts