Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was shooting my marlin which is set up with a Williams 5d (?) peep sight and the front factory bead. I keep the hood on to protect the bead.

It occurred to me that the bead centered in the front hood makes another "centering feature", but its probably not exactly centered. It also obscures the target slightly and create eye distraction.

So shooters - what do you do in this case? or your experience?
Hood or no hood?

The perfect solution is a winged battle sight, but I don't know if they make them for marlins.

·
Premium Member
15,448 Posts
I leave the hoods on to protect my front sight, in my case, they don't seem to be distracting.

a winged battle sight sounds like a great idea, you may be on to something there

Reactions: vrkar10

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hood off! Stick it in your pocket when not traveling to and fro. It will block out your view of the target on game. Its only purpose is to protect the front sight, which in the real world, doesn't get un-protected in regular use.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't use the hood with the tall front sight I have to use with my Skinner rear sight. So... hood off?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hood off I keep them safe in an old tobacco tin. In 47 years of very active hunting never damaged a front sight. I have broken stocks, damaged scopes lost mags and pluged barrels with dirt/mud but the iron sights have survived without the hood.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the hood is NOT there to protect the front sight from damage, it is there to provide shade which reduces glare and improves accuracy in some situations. I leave mine on but ifi have a gun with one missing, I don't worry much about it.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Well, I usually take the hood off, started doing this after I bought my first Marlin, a 1895M....try keeping the hood "on" with a ported big bore....finally lost the front hood after it launched into space for like the third time!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
A few things from this thread. Dave is correct. Without the hood, beads tend to shoot to different places in relationship to where the sun is, if not shaded. Does not apply to flat posts.

Someone does make winged battle sights for Marlins, I just do not recall who. EDIT: Skinner makes a winged front post.

Ports blow hoods off. They also make guns louder, just like muzzle brakes. You guys can have all of them including my share. My ears have suffered enough.

Reactions: Sidespin

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
All mine have the hood still on them, they never bothered me and kinda' makes it say Marlin to my eyes, but just a personal thing. I'm getting ready to install a Skinner peep I received recently on one rifle of mine though, so it will probably have to go with a front sight change, but no biggie... we'll see.
I also have a 444P ported rifle and half expecting the hood to blow off one day from my reading in here, but since it is the only lever I have scoped not overly concerned really. I did read somewhere of one having a pin installed through the hood to keep that from happening on ported a rifle, but can't remember where I saw it.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Ha! Yea, well my front hood on the 1895M was pinned....by the previous owner....I looked at it the first time and said.."now why did he do that?" and removed it. Then lost it(the pin), then the hood....:flute:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very simple answer. In "Shots at Whitetails" by Lawrence Koller, arguably the single best book EVER written about hunting the whitetail deer, Koller states with reference to the hooded front sight "Of course, for deer hunting the hood should be removed, to allow all possible light to reach the sight." In short, Larry Koller said it, just do it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Well I used to leave the hood on all the time, but my Boyt gun case just loves to pull them off so I started leaving them off! :flute:

·
Registered
20,501 Posts
Hood off!

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
Hood off in most instances but with my .32 it stays on.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
take it off. it does cover some of what you are shooting at. i noticed some years back, that when i would go hunting, the hood would end up missing! i realized that when you walk through brush, it would slide off. also, the hood only goes on 1 way.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts