Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that everyone has had their 17 hmr a while, are they still enamored with them like the day they brought them home? Is this speedy little round still the dream or is it now a mirage, not what it appears (or appeared) to be?
Im just wondering if folks still find it as useful and if it still gets picked up first. The round is too destructive for what i would use it for, so i havent gotten one. figure i want to eat some of the squirrels i shoot. I also dont believe (after firing one into wet newspaper and water jugs) that it has enough oomph or tough enough bullets for coyote, so that tosses that use out the window.
Just asking for the one year (or there abouts) review from some folks.
Huntinbull

G

·
.17 HMR

I still enjoy shooting my 17V, and it's still as accurate as ever, and I still use it when I can, but I don't use it for squirrels, that's what the .22LR is for! I have only had it to SD once, for PDs, and it did a bang-up job out to 250 yards, but that was stretching it(just wanted to see what it would do). I use it for crows here locally, and it is dandy for them, too.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I use mine for punching paper holes. Sometimes a long shot at Ravens. Still a accurate as ever. I'am trying to get a 3/8 inch group, 5 shot at 100 yards. I believe my Marlin will do it but can I. Going to get a new front rest to help hold the rifle rock solid. Right now it is a 1/2 incher at 100 yards. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
I originally bought another .17hmr barrel for my TC Contender, as I wasn't sure if I wanted a rifle in this caliber. I was so pleased with the .17 that I went out and bought a CZ 452 in .17 to go with the TC!

·
Registered
485 Posts
i still luv my handi rifle if i'm headed for a day of atv riding & sqauck,crow,groundhog, season or anyother it goes on the rack its so accurate & gives me more distance than my 22's. but it will never replace my 22 as a sqauck gun or my 22 mag which i feel will humanley take coyote sized critters.i plan on having a 17agulia barrel for my ruger10/22 & maybe 1 in hornaday if it will work.if i get my choice i'll go with andrew but will wait & see if/when ammo arrives.i luv all my guns but rimfires have their own special place. :) mike

G

·
Most the rimfire ammo is used plinking and for punching paper. For the money they 17HMR are extremely accurate. They are much more accurate at 100 and 150 yards and further than 22 lr and 22 magnums. They are just fun to shoot. With the number of different rifles and handguns already sold, I am sure that a ctitical mass is already in the hands of us shooters.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I was just wondering how much you were all paying for your ammo’ for this little rifle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hey MIKE243:

Do you like yours NEF in 17hmr. I had one and i noticed that it would misfire alot, unconstant accuracy, and the cases would expand and crack at the neck. I sold it and got a savage and am thoroughly impressed with it. Maybe mine was a lemon, would like to know what you think honostly. Thanks, BEN

·
Registered
485 Posts
mine shoots great i was having some trouble with it not kicking some the hulls all the way out but i think i have that problem fixed the trigger needs done but i'm going to send it in & get a 22 barrel for it & will ask them to tune it. glad it is'nt a clip or auto cause i can go thru a bunch of rounds in a just a few minutes. i shot 3 rds @ 225' with the 4th a flier that could be covered by a quarter now i dont think i can do that consitantly with the trigger being heavy but thats me & not its fault. i would buy another if this 1 left home :) mike

·
Registered
158 Posts
HOGbuster,

I have a Savage also and love the accuracy, my cousin bought a NEF and it leaves a little to be desired in the accuracy catagory. At a indoor 50yrd range could never get it under a 1/2" group.

G

·
17HMR ammo prices

I can buy locally all four brands of ammo for $8.99 a box. Two times I've purchased ammo for $7.50 a box. When it is available at that price I stock up.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Thanks gents, you won’t believe the price that was being charged over here a while back- £23 per box of 50. that’s @ $40. :shock:
It has come down a lot since and prices are now @ £15 for 50, but even so that still works out to almost three time as much as you are paying.
I would like to get one of these little rifles, but until the price of the ammo becomes more realistic, then I will stick to my .222, which will do a better job and is a lot cheaper to run.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Tenex: I also have a "Triple Deuce". I certainly wouldn't consider giving it up for the 17 HMR. The .222 is a much more versatile cartridge. Do you handload for it?? I have loaded down to 22 Short speeds with good results.~Andrew

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hi Andrew. Yes I do handload for my .222. 50 grn V-max over 21 grns of Reloader 7, Federal primers.
I wouldn’t even think of replacing it with a .17 hmr though, it’s just that I am finding myself almost always over 100 yards away from sitting rabbits, which the farmer whose land I shoot on wants cleared.
Now it’s easy enough to sight my rimfire in to75 yds using sub-sonics, and I have even thought about buying some higher velocity ammo just to see if it makes a difference, although I find that high velocity stuff doesn’t seem to be very accurate.
It’s just that one rabbit might be at 100 yds, whilst another may be at 140 yds, or even less than that at 80 yds. So what I am looking for is a round that is flat out to @ 175 yds in order to take the guesswork out of holding over/under.
A .17 hmr would be the ideal little tool for this, but with ammunition costing so much, it would make it very expensive for just playing around and plinking with.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Was that the Sportsman Centre???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts