Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so it's not German i'ts American! Looks like it's made from a silver half dollar, but I don't know because I would never destroy or deface currancy! ;) ;D The one on the left. A period blade sight on the right looks to be brass.

Better pic

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
With the price of silver running about $43 an ounce, a 90% silver half dollar is close to $16

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
48vintage said:
With the price of silver running about $43 an ounce, a 90% silver half dollar is close to $16

Looks like this is the cheap way out!
An original sight that's not even silver if you can find one on Flea bay is over $100!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Originals were "German silver" which is a silver and brass alloy mix. That certainly does look like a silver coin on your's. I think it's kinda cool, and a real neat period fix. They were probably cheap coins back when that was done.
Did they open up the base to make room for the full width of a silver dollar, or maybe it's a dime that was thin enough to fit the groove in the base?

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
Adds character and period authenticity--I think it's cool--you won't see that everyday.

Steve

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
marlinman93 said:
Originals were "German silver" which is a silver and brass alloy mix. That certainly does look like a silver coin on your's. I think it's kinda cool, and a real neat period fix. They were probably cheap coins back when that was done.
Did they open up the base to make room for the full width of a silver dollar, or maybe it's a dime that was thin enough to fit the groove in the base?
Ok I made the sight. :D I had that old Barber silver half since I was a kid. It always had a cut and bend in it as if someone tried to take a pair of tin snips to it! Well I finished the cut with a dremel then took a grinder, file and 220 grit to it. The base was on the gun with some kind of replacement sight on it. I pulled the old leaf from the base which was thicker than a blade and fitted the half dollar. It's got a dab of two part epoxy holding it in. When you look down the barrel that silver stands out! :eek: Should make a nice hunting sight! The original thin blade is VERY thin. It almost dissapears on me looking down the barrel!

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Nice work, I like this type of things. Looks good and works good.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
lever addict said:
Ok I made the sight. :D I had that old Barber silver half since I was a kid. It always had a cut and bend in it as if someone tried to take a pair of tin snips to it! Well I finished the cut with a dremel then took a grinder, file and 220 grit to it. The base was on the gun with some kind of replacement sight on it. I pulled the old leaf from the base which was thicker than a blade and fitted the half dollar. It's got a dab of two part epoxy holding it in. When you look down the barrel that silver stands out! :eek: Should make a nice hunting sight! The original thin blade is VERY thin. It almost dissapears on me looking down the barrel!
So what year was the coin from ?

Steve

·
Registered
54 Posts
German Silver also known as Nickel Silver and Nickel Brass.
German Silver has a usual formulation of 60%copper,20%nickel,20%zinc.
(There is No Silver in German Silver) unless it has been plated.
It is used many different products.It seems to come from China but the Germans seem
to have been the ones to take the name for it.It is also prone to tarnish.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
marlin 1893 said:
German Silver also known as Nickel Silver and Nickel Brass.
German Silver has a usual formulation of 60%copper,20%nickel,20%zinc.
(There is No Silver in German Silver) unless it has been plated.
It is used many different products.It seems to come from China but the Germans seem
to have been the ones to take the name for it.It is also prone to tarnish.
Do you think my other sight is a German silver? I stoned the edge you look at to brighten it up and it appears to have that copper or brass color to it. I don't know why the sides have black on them, but a lot of things happen over 112 years!

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Black on the sides of the other sight could be numerous things. If anyone ever used some cold blue on the barrel it will turn the brass in those sights black. Or someone may have even just wanted to blacken it for their own preference.
I know they wont normally turn black on their own, as most the old Marlins are still shiny if unmessed with.
I noticed the newer clear epoxy on the right side of the sight, but thought it was a recent repair from the sight getting loose or something.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
That does look cool. From all the old guns I have seen with "farmer replaced" front sights, I would wager 99% were made from old coins.

Thats a lot neater job than most of them though. It might have actually been fixed by a bicycle mechanic, instead of a farmer. ;D

I have an old 94 out of a sheepherder wagon, it utilized an old quarter, and lots of soft solder, but no doubt laid low a few coyotes, and perhaps supplied a jack bunny or two for lunch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts