Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19,567 Posts
Thanks for the recipe! May just have to try It!

Reactions: alawrence

·
Registered
639 Posts
I used to do my own hams and bacon in a wet brine. Three weeks for bacon and 5 for hams, When they were done you could hang them in the basement for a year and they were salty!!! I used the old farm recipe but its not needed anymore with freezers. I have a book titled the sausage maker that has some great recipes that are really easy and tasty.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I used to make bacon years ago, pretty close to the same way your doing it. I liked hickory, or a medium oak smoking best. Also made Canadian bacon. That was even easier. Damm, I miss living in the sticks.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Would please post your step x step recipe? I'm anxious to try it myself. Looks delicious!!
Here ya go Kaboomer!
You need a 9-10 pound skinless pork belly. Make sure it is free of excess fat layers over the actual muscle. I look to see if it is 1/4" or less. If it isn't, then trim it down to less than 1/4". I dislike paying for excess fat that I am not going to use.
Rub:
1 1/2 teaspoons pink curing salt (sodium nitrate).
1 tablespoon sea salt (or to your taste)
2 tablespoons fresh coarsly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground bay leaf
1/4 cup brown sugar
Mix these items and rub into the pork belly on all surfaces.
You can try mixing up different spices, but this gives me the flavor I like without hiding the actual taste of the meat
I cut my pork belly in half and use covered 13X9 glass pans to store it in during the curing process.

Curing process:
After applying the rub, Place the pork belly into the glass pan, cover and refridgerate for 72 hours.
After 72 hours, turn the belly over and refridgerate 48 hours.
Repeat the 48 hour turns three times. Your curing time is 9 days total.
There will be a buildup of fluid in the bottom of the pan. Leave it there, you do not need to drain it.

Smoking process:
Remove meat from glass pan, rinse lightly under cold water. You want to remove the curing salt, but not all of the tasty seasoning.
Leave the belly wet and smoke at 175F for 3 hours or longer depending on taste. Be careful not to cook it through. You just want to impart smoke flavor.
I like apple wood the best, but maple is also tasty.

Cutting the bacon:
I cut the slabs of smoked belly into a square that fits neatly into a 1 quart zip lock freezer bag, removing the air and sealing tight, before freezing.
When slicing, I found that it's easier to slice when the meat is still very cold, but not frozen. I tried a food slicer but it just made a mess of the belly. A good, sharp butcher knife is better.

I hope this helps.
Andrew
Thank you, and I'll be trying this one out. Let you know how it goes

·
Registered
657 Posts
Where do you procure the hog belly to make the bacon? Butcher your own? Friend? Butcher shop?
My un-informed question - is this feasible utilizing a 100 - 200 lb. wild hog or am I fooling myself?
My inquiring mind would like to know if anyone has tried it and if so, was it worth the effort?

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Premium Member
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Where do you procure the hog belly to make the bacon? Butcher your own? Friend? Butcher shop?
My un-informed question - is this feasible utilizing a 100 - 200 lb. wild hog or am I fooling myself?
My inquiring mind would like to know if anyone has tried it and if so, was it worth the effort?

WYT-P
Skyhunter
I get my pork bellies from Costco. They are the most reasonably priced in my area.
As for wild hog belly, I cannot say how it would do. I have never tried it.....yet. Sometime in 2020, I will be hog hunting at my place in South Carolina. I will try it then.
Andrew

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
We butchered our own pigs this year because our buddy closed his meat shop. Actually he helped us, alot! When all was said and done we had everything vacuum sealed and divided up between us. We had the bellies from both 180 lb pigs ready to send to the smokehouse. Except they never answered the phone or returned our calls. So, we did it ourselves. Not exactly sure of the brine we used but it had soy sauce and brown sugar. We smoked it for three hours one Sunday afternoon while we butchered a deer. Let it cool overnight, and sliced it the next day. We borrowed a slicer from another friend. That only cost us two packages of venison steaks. I really like it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Would please post your step x step recipe? I'm anxious to try it myself. Looks delicious!!
Here ya go Kaboomer!
You need a 9-10 pound skinless pork belly. Make sure it is free of excess fat layers over the actual muscle. I look to see if it is 1/4" or less. If it isn't, then trim it down to less than 1/4". I dislike paying for excess fat that I am not going to use.
Rub:
1 1/2 teaspoons pink curing salt (sodium nitrate).
1 tablespoon sea salt (or to your taste)
2 tablespoons fresh coarsly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ground bay leaf
1/4 cup brown sugar
Mix these items and rub into the pork belly on all surfaces.
You can try mixing up different spices, but this gives me the flavor I like without hiding the actual taste of the meat
I cut my pork belly in half and use covered 13X9 glass pans to store it in during the curing process.

Curing process:
After applying the rub, Place the pork belly into the glass pan, cover and refridgerate for 72 hours.
After 72 hours, turn the belly over and refridgerate 48 hours.
Repeat the 48 hour turns three times. Your curing time is 9 days total.
There will be a buildup of fluid in the bottom of the pan. Leave it there, you do not need to drain it.

Smoking process:
Remove meat from glass pan, rinse lightly under cold water. You want to remove the curing salt, but not all of the tasty seasoning.
Leave the belly wet and smoke at 175F for 3 hours or longer depending on taste. Be careful not to cook it through. You just want to impart smoke flavor.
I like apple wood the best, but maple is also tasty.

Cutting the bacon:
I cut the slabs of smoked belly into a square that fits neatly into a 1 quart zip lock freezer bag, removing the air and sealing tight, before freezing.
When slicing, I found that it's easier to slice when the meat is still very cold, but not frozen. I tried a food slicer but it just made a mess of the belly. A good, sharp butcher knife is better.

I hope this helps.
Andrew
Just finished smoking it last night BLTs for dinner tonight! Thanks for the tutorial

21 - 31 of 31 Posts