Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it back from the Reno gun show late Sat. night. It was a real adventure, with lots of snow throughout the trip down. Much better coming back, with all rods open, and no chains!
Saw some great guns, and met lots of nice folks. Picked up another Stevens model 49, .22LR with small swiss buttplate, double set triggers, heavy 30" half octagon barrel, Lyman 103 windgauge tang sight, Lyman 5B combination globe sight, and factory engraving.
Agonized all day over whether to buy it or not, as I didn't really want another .22 rimfire, but it was a great gun, and I finally caved. The seller is a good friend, and he kept it under his table all day, waiting for the negotiations to end, so there was no pressure to buy before it might be sold to someone else. In the end I got it so reasonable that I just couldn't pass it up. I'm pretty happy with it, and hope it shoots half as good as it looks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
What a clean good looking gun. What type engraving is that called? How much does she weigh? I guess about 9 LBS.,am I close to being right?

SpikeMaster49 :D :) 8) :lol: :D :) 8) :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's right at the 10 lb. limit for competition back then. The engraving is usually called scroll type engraving. As engraving goes, Stevens usually are pretty heavy, and somewhat crude as compared to Marlins or Winchesters.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, that was the cause of my agony! I would have jumped right on it in a centerfire, like my other in .25-21 Stevens. I've got one in .32-40 also, so I guess the .22LR was a logical addition?

G

·
marlinman93 said:
Yea, that was the cause of my agony! I would have jumped right on it in a centerfire, like my other in .25-21 Stevens. I've got one in .32-40 also, so I guess the .22LR was a logical addition?

If I ever settle down from buying Marlin's , I would like to get the CPA in schuetzen form . But if I do I'd like barrels for 25-20SS , 28-30 , 32-40 and 38-55 .
Don't think I'd be very good at it , but schuetzen matches look like they would be a lot of fun. I mean how easy can 200 yards offhand be :?

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those CPA's that Paul makes are really nice guns! I think they are the best buy in a semi-custom built singleshot on the market today! They are extremely well built and a bargain price compared to Shilohs, C Sharps, Ballards, and Lone Star rifles.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
mm93,

Sure looks good to me! What would be the approximate year of manufacture?? Also about what year did the popularity of Schutzen type shooting wane?? I've read where at one time it was as popular as say major league baseball was at the time!

Well since you have it's big brothers I'd sure say it was logical to add this one. If you went out LOOKING for one like this in this nice of shape you'd probably never find it. So you made hay while the sun was shining!!!!

Glad you had a good, safe trip!

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Geoff!
This one most likely dates to the post WWI era. It has the two piece pin and screw type receiver screws, and the more rounded shape to the rear of the receiver, which indicates a later gun, along with a 18,xxx serial number.
The Schuetzen game started to wane with increased interest in bolt action rifles after WWI, and by WWII they were pretty much ignored. Also, many of the Schuetzen Parks were in urban neighborhoods, which were changed to other uses in later years. Some became building sites, while some became amuzement parks.
In the late 1800's to WWI era, the schuetzen game was a popular form of family entertainment, and drew big crowds on Sunday, after church. Many shooting teams were organized around church groups.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Another very nice old rifle!! :D It will soon grow on you, and your qualms will vanish completely! I like it a lot!!! SW

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Hogger! I'm sure it will. Hesitancy wasn't because of looks for sure. Just might have reached the "too many 22's" point, if that's possible? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts