Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the same collection that my wife purchased the S&W 1917 .45 ACP revolver I ended up with a pretty nice old holster made by HEISER, DENVER, CO. Does anyone know about this manufacturer and the era that they were selling holsters? I am guessing the 1940's.

As always I sure appreciate any info you all might share.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
According to Richard Rattenbury of the Cowboy Hall of Fame, Herman Heiser was one of the most respected saddlery companies in the US!
Heiser was in business in Denver, Co. for 87 years, selling out to the Denver Dry Goods Co. in 1945. Heiser had long since passed away in 1903, but his company was so well renowned that it carried on 42 years after.
Heiser Co. made saddles and holsters, but holsters were a sideline to their saddles. Heiser Co. invented the safety spring shoulder holster, snap button safety straps, and combination belt and hip pocket holsters.
Richard's book, Packing Iron, Gunleather of the Frontier West, has a chapter dedicated to Heiser's work, with wonderful pictures. It's $45 from the CHF, and well worth it if you are interested in gun leather of the old west!
If you need any more details as to the age of the holster you have, email me a picture, and I'll try to narrow it down to the era.
Hope this helps!

PS-That holster might be worth more than what the gun cost!

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a ton for the good news and info mm93. Thats pretty darn exciting stumbling into something I picked up to use and finding out its made by an outfit that is somewhat famous. I sure appreciate you taking time to fill me in. This collecting is fun. I can see why you all like it. Many different angles aren't there!! I'm pretty green at all of this, never really had the funds when I was younger not that I have alot now but I've spent enough to start to see how enjoyable collecting and using the old equipment is.

Thanks again,

Geoff

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Anytime Geoff! Always enjoy your questions. It gives me a chance to justify my resource library for something more than my own education and entertainment!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts