Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my recently acquired 39A (80's vintage?) has a hole in the receiver, nearly adjacent to the chamber. It is a blind, unthreaded hole, so clearly a screw is not missing. I looked a photos of a few other 39A's on gunbroker and gunsamerica and noted some guns had the same hole, others did not.

Can anyone enlighten me on this detail?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Banned
843 Posts
Inside the action, on the port side, just ahead of the 'hole' is there a screw that kinda spins around and around.......??? If so, you are looking at the ejector holddown screw hole I believe,,,,used for helping assembly/disassembly,,,,i.e. the screw can hold down the ejector temporarily,,,,,,maybe your screw is missing..??? Could that be it...?

...........................TM7

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, it's not that hole,

the ejector and it's screw are intact, the rifle functions fine (the little 20 gr. Colilbri's with primer charge only make so little noise that the hammer fall makes more :D ).

The hole I am speaking of is just forward of the ejector spring screw hole. In fact, the rim of a chambered cartridge can be seen thru the hole....

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
I believe that hole was added as a pressure relief hole in the event of a ruptured case. I have an early 80's Mountie with the same hole. Funny - they went almost a hundred years before needing one :roll: :roll: :roll:

Shum8

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was told by an old smith years ago that that hole was to check visually,if the chamber was loaded.Makes sense I guess. tarheel

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
That makes more sense than my reasoning, but I still crack the lever a tad to check.........I still hold to my thinking that if a feature causes second guessing and asking around as to it's purpose, it's probably not needed.

·
Banned
843 Posts
Okay, when did they start putting that hole close to the chambers on port side??? I don't think mine has that?

.........................TM7

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Two holes!

Of course my old 50's J model 39 does not have any inspection holes on the port side of the receiver.

BUT ... My 2000 Wally-World WL (Wildlife For Tomorrow) special 39a has TWO on the port side.

One is in the barrel/ bolt area for a chambered round and the other is below and forward of it. It is to indicate rounds in the tubular magazine as the Red follower is visible with no rounds in the magazine. Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
I never noticed it before so had to go check and my 1979 39A does not have it but my 1982 39M does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts