Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you ever hunted hogs in alberta? They are supposed to be around but I only know of people having luck with estate hunts, none with free roaming piggys

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
I don't expect you will see any free roamers. They need alot of feed, and cover. When it gets real cold, they tend to "huddle up" in straw/debris "nests" and tend to get sick/die. Now, pure european stock may be hardy enough, but even in Bavaria, where I saw many, there was enough activity to keep them stirred up/moving around. I have been looking at the "so called" Russian boars (europeans) up in Northern Michigan, available in many game farms. Some prices are exhorbitant, others places are OK, but it would cost me big time just to get there from here,ha. I love to shoot pigs, but have never shot a big wooley "Russian". ( I was loaded for "Russians" as a soldier in West Germany, "get it"?,ha)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that some of the estate hunts up here are for free range hogs. My buddy at work got a 400+ pound monster and his sons was 200ish. There is a place bout 45 min from here with free range estate but it is 400 bucks per bog and much more if it is a trophy. Where my buddy went is about 5hours north and it is 400 bucks regardless of size. About 15 years ago when people first brought them in they kept getting out. About 3 years ago they were declared a nusence and in a widely publiciced campaign were to be stomped out with bountys paid on ears and all farmers were to grant hunting access... Few farmers granted access however, and unless you know someone you dont get a free range piggy up here. :( :mad: :(
i may have to just pay up if I want to get one, I know 400 bucks for a hunt is pretty cheap, but i've never paid for any thing more than my licenses before, we are lucky up here for hunting and I am cheap ;)
thanks for the input preacher

1 - 3 of 3 Posts