Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Hogs and snakes

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  jog 
#1 ·
I am vacationing at my place in SC this last week.
Every night, I have heard a sounder of hogs work their way past my home, just staying in the tree line. The leaves and rotted wood is all turned over by them, but there has been no damage to my new lawn.
I have been scouting the woods to find the best path to a small bay at the bottom of a valley. I expected to find Copperheads or Rattlers, but I have not seen one snake. There have been a few small lizards, and it has been warm during the day.
Is it possible that the hogs have decimated the snake population? My wildlife biologist daughter has not seen any snakes in the area and she spends many hours out in the woods doing studies for school.
Andrew

#2 ·
It could be but if there is much woods or brush they can blend in pretty well and will get gone fast if they know you are near by most times. I would bet there are still plenty around. I live in Florida in a rural farm area with plenty of snakes ponds and woods but do not see them often. Once in a while one will be in the yard or cleared area but most times those are rat snakes and black racers.

#9 ·
Decades ago, we were walking in the hills of WV with a couple who had a young daughter. I am guessing 6 or 7. There was a bush on the trail and she kept telling her father that there was a snake in there. We all have snake sense so no foolish moves were made. It took quite a while and the young lady trying to explain how it was curled in the bush. Then we realized it was a copperhead. Had she not seen the snake we would have all walked by a copperhead not more than a foot from our feet. Still gives me the willies.

#3 ·
The hogs will leave your lawn alone until it covers something worth rooting up. Usually that's grubs. And the skunks will do a good job digging them up too.

#5 ·
I haven't seen a rattler or other snake here in Texas for quite some time now.
As mentioned they usually try to slither away - you're not on their menu.

#6 ·
I have seen one black racer. But that is all.
I am constantly aware of where I step when out in the woods. Even though there is a thick carpet of dead vegetation, I would think I would see movement by a large snake.
Even the small lizards make the leaves move.
Andrew

#7 ·
Weather has been a little cool for snakes yet. Live just below the Georgia line where it's honestly not uncommon to see snakes any time most years, but they've been pretty much non-existent since last October. Of course we had the coldest winter on record for the last 40 years or so here, not necessarily in respect to coldest temps, but most days of cold weather. So far, have seen a black Rat Snake in the backyard last week, and a Black Racer just yesterday. Have seen one or two earlier, little moccasin crossing the road, and what looked like an oak snake run over on the highway. But that's about it since last fall.

As for hogs taking the snakes out; if the hogs are working the area heavily, the snakes will move out, 1.) because they're rooting up snake cover eternally forcing them to move and 2.) because they know the hogs are subject to eat them. Never seen them eat all of the snakes anywhere, but snakes will thin out some with hogs in the area. That being said, it hasn't helped with the oak snake problem in my yard! Where I typically am forced to kill a half dozen or so of the chicken catchin things a year.

#10 ·
I've read that hogs will eat rattle snakes live! I guess there skin is so thick the fangs cant penetrate.
Up here in Maine we have no poison snakes. I sure do like that!
But I guess you southern boys don't have to worry about being attack by a horny moose on your hike in the woods!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.