Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a picture I took about 3 o'clock this afternoon, of the nice two and a half year old gobbler HOGbuster harvested .. He had about a six inch beard and 1 inch spurs.

Nice Bird!

·
Registered
363 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!

WHERE IN TARNATION ARE THE DETAILS!!!!!!!!????????

NICE PICTURE BY THE WAY......I BEEN THERE! BY THE WAY, WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THAT SNOW????

LUCK!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thats my First.

I have to say turkey hunting is a rush.

Once i got to the top of the mtn i hit a couple hen yelps and in the distance i heard this fellow. I would guess he was 300 yards off at first. call fifteen min. later. 150 yards out. 5 min later 50 yards. He kinda got stuck there. I took a drastic approach. The trail is kinda a depression so i army crawled do it till i was about 30 yrds away. i saw him strutting so i sat up. all of a sudden i saw the blue and red head. he was looking straight at me. I was looking straight at him down the mossberg 835 barrel. BOOM. Thats the end of that. What a rush. there were two jakes with him also. The thing that gets me is that i did everything by myself. Its awsome. Thanks. BEN

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
......"army crawled"....?????

Squacks, I swear I DID NOT teach him that!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Leverpuller said:
......"army crawled"....?????

Squacks, I swear I DID NOT teach him that!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now there is a REAL hunter for sure.

Dave :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
hogbuster: that's a mighty purty bird you got there. i again congratulate you!

i have a couple of pointers for you...but i am going to wait a few days to mention them. hope you saved that tail for a fan mount! it's a dandy!

luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks everyone. Im looking foward to you tips squacks. Thanks again. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to succeed. (army crawling) I cant wait to mount the tail.

BEN

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm too old to "Army Crawl". Heck, I just jump up and start running after them! I guess that's why you have killed a Tom and I haven't.

I wonder if a mechanic's creeper will roll down a mountain? If so, I might try out that "Army crawl" technique. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Hog,, fine hunting .. Congrats :lol:

·
Registered
363 Posts
i said that i had a tip or 2 for hogbuster and i want to share them now. i again congratulate him on his success!

i want to make 2 points here.

i have 2 calls that i carry that are capable of making gobble calls. they sound very convincing too. at times, i use a set of purr calls, a diaphram call and a shaker type gobbler or a tube call to gobble. i can sound like 4 or five turkeys fighting all at the same time.

point #1 is that if you go to the sound of turkeys you may put yourself in grave danger. you cannot assume that the sounds that you hear are really turkeys. i have been fooled thinking the sounds that i was hearing were hunters and they turned out to be real turkeys. some turkey calls sound better than the real turkey! don't bet your life that you can tell the differance! i always assume that any turkey sounds i hear IS ANOTHER HUNTER! you must never assume you are the only person in the woods even if you are hunting on your own private property.

the safest way to turkey hunt is to sit with your back to a large dia. tree that is as wide as you are and call the turkey to you. i have had hunters try to sneak up on me while i was hen calling! if this happens to you, sit tight! do not move! yell loudly to let them know you are there.

point #2 is that in the long run you will bump more turkeys by moving toward them once you have made a call to them. you stand a much better chance ambushing them than sneaking up on them SAFELY.

i write this only because it is good safe hunting practice. if i didn't mention it and one of you got hurt, i would always regret it.

turkey hunting has been called the most dangerous hunting in this country and there are enough accidents for sure.

turkey hunting is some of the most exciting hunting there is. it just requires a little more vigilance on your part to keep yourself safe.

hogbuster: i wish you many more turkey hunting successes!

luck!

·
Registered
221 Posts
i appriciate your care and insite. the army crawl that i did was actually about 15 yards. i will always keep that in mind. the way i figure it is that i was in that same place about 30 minutes and it just keep coming closer at an alarming rate. i dont know too many people who can cover that distance, at the very last moment i was forced to move because it was hung up and was seeming not to come in any close, I had to get in a postion that i could actually shoot from. I do not know how to call to bring them in at the very in i tried purring but it wasent working. thank you for your concern and i will use it in later times turkey hunting.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Squacks has in all respect become my turkey hunting guru. Even after all that I have learned from his calling, techniques, and extensive knowledge of the wild turkey, I have found myself doing some really stupid things while turkey hunting.

One thing I have learned is that turkey hunting requires a LOT of patience. Patience is one thing I really thought I had when it comes to hunting. I can sit all day hanging 30 feet up in a tree waiting for that moment when that big deer will show himself to me. But when I hear a tom gobble off in the distance it takes every thing I have to control myself and not run after it! The closer the tom gets to me the worst off I get. By the time that redhead is within 50 yards I'm on the verge of a stroke.

Squacks on the other hand has the patience of an oak tree in a drought when it comes to hunting turkeys! I have recently give him the nickname "Ironbutt", when talking to a friend of mine about his devotion to calling turkeys. That nickname comes with the up most respect.

Hunting turkeys is unlike hunting any other game. You are not only calling to them, you are communicating with them. Knowing their language is very important, as I am beginning to learn. I have also come to the conclusion that it is equally important knowing when to "talk" to them and when NOT to. THIS IS THE HARDEST THING IN THE WORLD FOR ME TO DO!

I went hunting all day yesterday by myself. I never heard a gobble. I did however call in a hen. It was very good education for me watching that hen and hearing her "language". When I got to the house, my wife asked if I had seen or heard anything. I told her about the hen that come in and she started laughing! She told me that I must have been giving the "GAY HEN CALL"! :lol:

Unknowingly she made a good point, I thought! I must have been using the wrong "words".

·
Registered
363 Posts
leverpuller: i thank you for the compliment. my wife has mumbled the "ironbutt" thing around here a few times in the past. it was usually in some reference to house repairs..... lol!

i wrote the safety tip because of some of the experiences i have had in the past. i have heard a lot of pretty amazingly foolish acts that hunters have committed while turkey hunting but i stick to the ones that i have had experience with.

some folks use gobbler calls for locating turkeys. they will walk around making gobbles trying to make a turkey gobble. i have witnessed this occasionally. it is not a good practice. gobbling on a windless day may be heard for about a mile radius. if you make gobble calls every hunter in that distance will be mighty interested and may come looking for you. if you are moving around while you are doing it, you will sound even more real and inviting.

if you use a gobble call (i do on occasion) it is best to be sitting with your back to a large dia. tree and to be alert. the tree will absorb a shot from behind (god forbid) , if that should occur. you should be alert to movement around you. if you have gobbling coming towards you, it is safest to assume it is another hunter! no matter where you are hunting! only eyeballs on a turkey should convince you otherwise.

using gobble calls for practical jokes on other hunters is a really poor idea and i have seen it done. practical jokes envolving firearms is plain stupid.

the best advise for turkey hunting i know of is to always be alert for other hunters. always assume that any turkey noise you hear is another hunter. ALWAYS POSITIVELY IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET. it is smart to wear orange if you are carrying a turkey out of the woods. you can also put it in one of those orange bags they sell for that purpose.

i heard this story this spring at a bass pro shops turkey seminar.
a fella in wisconsin last year successfully bagged a turkey. heading back in he grabbed the bird by the legs and hoisted IT over his shoulder. walking over the top of a hill the birds tail was fanned out over the top of the hunters head. a hunter on the other side saw the fan coming over the hill. when the mans white face came over under the fan the other hunter shot.

3 TIMES!

lets be careful out there!

i get to go to wisconsin with knottybumpo in a couple of weeks and then i have a tag for the following weekend. i am hoping my luck improves!

good luck to all the turkey hunters!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts