Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Put some real
vanilla extract in a hole and cover it up and it will bring hogs around for few days.
Unfortunately real
vanilla extract is expensive but the artificial ones don't seem to work for a day...I think it evaporates away quickly.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Well I am still looking for a lure other than feed . I have been experimenting with mineral blocks . This critter showed only a few days after placing it . It is a 50lb block.

Attachments

Reactions: marlinluvr
Discussion starter · #23 ·
That is the block to the right of his nose. Any estimates on his weight.

Apple or berry jello, here in VA (talking bears) baiting is illegal, but really cannot see warden finding sprinkled dry jello in the leaves. Is cheap and should attract hogs, especially if a few real apples were scattered around.

If you have oaks get the acorns,the hogs will root it up so bad it will look like it was tilled.

Black Widow Deer Lures has some great hog scents. They collect fresh sow in heat urine since hogs breed all year long. Great stuff from some great folks.

I spose I could turn out a hog lure. Could turn one down out of wood and paint it to look like a roast’n ear. Would have to be trolled behind a 4x4 on stout cord, 12/0 hooks at least.:burnout:

I spose I could turn out a hog lure. Could turn one down out of wood and paint it to look like a roast’n ear. Would have to be trolled behind a 4x4 on stout cord, 12/0 hooks at least.:burnout:

Hi all, I work with a fellow who swears by this trick, he digs a deep hole and starts off with corn. Then pours some diesel on it, then a layer of dirt. Repeat until the hole is filled. Claims the hogs go wild digging it up. But around here in Oklahoma the hogs seem to be turning nocturnal, almost never see them out in the daylight. I guess I need to start saving for a night vision scope.

Guys, I am sorry but I just could not resist the temptation. Toy Finger Action figure Thumb Plush

Hi all, I work with a fellow who swears by this trick, he digs a deep hole and starts off with corn. Then pours some diesel on it, then a layer of dirt. Repeat until the hole is filled. Claims the hogs go wild digging it up. But around here in Oklahoma the hogs seem to be turning nocturnal, almost never see them out in the daylight. I guess I need to start saving for a night vision scope.
No offense to you, but your buddy don't seem too smart! I don't think I'd be pouring diesel in the ground! Not only horrible for the environment AND illegal, but I wouldn't want to eat anything that's been eating IT! Stick with something environmentally friendly, that won't kill other animals OR you!

Reactions: Goldtrigger
When I was in TX we put out a pig pipe. Take a 8 foot section of 4" pvc. Cut it in half. Get two end caps and drill a hole in it. Get some cable and put through the hole and put a clamp on it so it can't be pulled back through. Glue the end caps onto the two 4 foot sections of pipe. On the other end of the pipes, glue a clean out on that has a screw out plug. Along the length of the pipe drill a few half inch holes. Take these assemblies to a piggy type of location with some t bars. Drive the t bar into the ground and wrap the cable around the bar and clamp it. Fill the pipe with corn by opening the clean out and replacing once filled. The pigs will smell the corn in the pipe and try to get to it. They will roll the pipe around on the ground and a few kernels will fall out of the holes drilled in the pipe. This will make a bag of corn last a long time and the pigs will keep rolling the pipe around in circles trying to get the corn. Make sure the t bar is in the ground good or the pigs might roll the pipe away.

If memory serves, this will make a 50 pound bag of corn last a week or so. If you fill it occasionally the pigs will get used to it and come and check it regularly.

This might not be what you want, and you can only use on private land, but it works pretty well. Filling once a week or so isn't too bad either. If you fill it a day or two before a hunt, you should be golden.
V

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.